Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What Needs to Be Done

Discussion in 'Project Suggestions' started by Rigon, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Rigon

Rigon Windlord
    Legend

NOTE: I'm editing this thread and typing more. Please Stay Tuned.

I really do love this game. It just seems stale to me at the moment and I really want to talk about what needs to be done. I'm going to use specific examples of other MMOs, and Sandbox Full Loot PVP games as a side by side comparison to show what can be done, and what should be avoided. I'm going to start by stating overarching problems and solutions BPG has faced. I've seen other games with private servers have similar problems. To name them: GameZBD Private server. Warhammer Online Private Server. Various UO Private Servers. SWGEMU Private Servers. SBEMU. And Wow Private Servers. I'm going to cite and compare what these private servers have done, and give suggestions to BPG on how they can copy their success. The players playing these private servers are directly correlated to players playing darkfall. BPG can learn a lot from them. I also play POE, and I love it. Watch this. Watch this video before reading my suggestion. It's at the heart of my argument.

Major Problem:

Slow development time due to lack of funding and developers.

BPG's Solutions:

Free to play, with freemium.
    Players can sell items on their cash store.
    Sell Skins and Shit
    Support Packs

Major Problem:

Changes to the game that won't scare away vets. People want that same slice of apple pie from back in the day.

BPG's Solutions:

Tweak combat, and use voting to determine what to change. (Terrible design choice btw).

Major Problem:

How to get returning players back, and fresh newbies.

BPG's Solutons:

Announce an expansion
    Give players voting rights to determine the future of the game (Terrible idea lol).
    Revamp website to make it new player compatible.
    Add a New Player Chat In Game
    Make Griefing Less Common Towards Noobs

Major Problem:

Marketing

BPG's Solutons:

Announce an expansion
    Post on the forums
    ORIGIN PC Partnership
    Newsletters
    Interviews/Articles on MMO News Websites
    Promo Video(s)

What Should Be Done.

Every 6-13 months wipe the server and start a new league or season of the game. Each season has a new set of goals/objectives. Each season brings new content, and changes to the game. Large changes are made between seasons, and not in the middle.

Each season will have leaderboards, and at the end of the season there will be winners or losers?

Host a seasonal alliance dueling tournament similar to EVE online's. Where players can obtain account wide unique skins/rewards.

Each season will have monthly or weekly contests to keep people farming and out and about. (Collect items for rewards/scav hunt).

Each season will bring new supporter packs, and a theme with it.

What happens to all my pixels? They are wiped.

Weekend/ Seasonal Events.

EXP Rates Should Be Dynamic At Launch:

Slow/Mid rate at launch. First month will be slow for everyone. (~1 month to max out)
    After someone hits a certain skill level make it easier for everyone else with a global multiplier. (~ 1 week)
    Towards the end of season the exp rate will be huge like it is currently on ROA. (~ 1 day)

Double EXP Events/Weekends.

Mobs/Holdings Will Be Scrambled At Launch:

New map is fun as hell, people pre-planning and beating the game ruins everything. It needs to be the same game but fresh and renewed. Other private servers do this, and It's really great.

Why should we wipe and do this?

Wiping solves Everything!

MMOs are a Tourist Attraction

Every mmo has this issue, players show up at launch and leave. Game companies have exploited this like crazy. Adding pre-alpha, alpha, beta, and all sorts of support packs that get you into testing. Since you know how players behave why not exploit it? The reset button starts the whole process over and over.

How to get returning players back, and fresh newbies.

Based off of other games with similar seasonal wipes/resets, old vets always come back. Newbies don't feel left behind as badly, and vets will return to something new and fresh and fun to experience.

Slow development time due to lack of funding and developers.

With the start of a new season, new items will be introduced on the cash store and supporter packs will be sold. Supporter packs will sell more often during this time as opposed to during the middle of end of season. You essentially frontload your sales at the start of the season when you have the highest population in game. Which results in more revenue.

Marketing

Hyping up a fresh server/season has the best result. Instead of running ads and getting little to no effect, build hype with twitch streamers, and run PPC ads advertising a fresh server with new features. People want fresh. Also, while marketing you can show off what new things are being added during the season and that alone can be the reason for someone to give it a shot. Marketing budgets should be frontloaded, because this is the time to do it.

Wiping brings experiences back that can only happen at launch.

Darkfall launch is a unique and fun experience in itself, that every player enjoys. It's a race, a competition, and that's what is at the heart of what makes Darkfall Darkfall. Having a sense of progression, and meaning. Players farm spawns they would never even dream of doing. Players grouping up to group farm, and build a city. Huge fights in dungeons, and large sieges always occur close to launch. As a vet I enjoy Darkfall launch more than any other part of the game.

What's the point in playing/farming if it's getting wiped?

I get this a lot as a counter argument. The point of playing is to have fun. What darkfall is right now is stagnant and not fun. Players only login for sieges/events, and most of the time they spend it staring at the bank. With much less incentive to farm due to an impending wipe, what is the point of even logging in? Well, throughout a season there will be leaderboards and events with real benefits. On top of that, if you are playing towards the end of the season rates will be so fast, that as a noob you can experience everything before starting the next season. So you'll be on near equal footing as a vet because you had practice from the previous season. Each season will have a set of tasks that give you unique skins/titles/items that can only be obtained from that season, and there will be different difficulties/tiers for each task.

So Why Did I mention all these private server games, and how are they related to ROA?

So i've dabbled with a lot of these private servers and I always see the same thing time and time again. I also think they are directly correlated to ROA.

All of these private servers have small dev teams, a niche community, limited marketing, and about the same population/following as ROA.

SBEMU (Shadowbane) is very closely related to darkfall, and they constantly wipe for fresh seasons. The same people show up every time. The game is fun for 1-2 months dies 2-3 months in then they wipe. There aren't even benefits, or incentives for playing. The game is just ZvZ or GvG fun. There are no other servers, avg population is 600-1k actives.

SWGEMU Private servers are probably a bad example (no full loot), but there are a few servers that have grown communities, and they wipe from time to time. We always see the most activity/highest population at the start of each server. There are two flavors of SWG, and players keep coming back and sitting down with their spoons up on the table asking for another serving of their favorite meal. There are many competitors for SWGEMU. The total population is around 10k active players, normal servers have 300-1k players.

Warhammer Online or RoR hasn't wiped ever, but it hasn't been finished (still in alpha). They host EXP events/returning player events, and rarely patch. Their population has been the same, and is slowly decreasing over time. The people playing this game are die hard PVP fans, some of which don't play games besides WAR. This server is unique there is only one competitor. I think this game has 2-3k actives.

GamezBD (BDO Private Server). This server has been out two years, they've added new servers which results in a 100% increase in population. They have a steady playerbase of 3-4k players. After the launch of their fresh EU server the had over 8-9k people logged in. There are no planned wipes, but the devs aren't opposed to it. Opposite of what you're supposed to do, they launched their server with far higher rates, and made loot simple compared to their mid rate servers now. The players playing this aren't really die hard BDO fans, they are refugees looking to play a game that is P2W without that restriction. Due to legal problems, they have trouble advertising but they still trump almost all other private servers on this list. There are very few servers for BDO emu.

UO Shards this is what we don't want happening, 500 different servers and a huge following/population. The UO private shards also compete with the live game. There are more players on the live server (OSI) as opposed to private shards. A good private shard has about 300-600 players. The newest one being UO Outlands had 1k+ at launch. The most popular servers, have very active and dedicated developers that really do magic. The most popular shards, actively advertise and haven't wiped for years. UOF and UOE are the two most popular shards, and maybe Renaissance. There are SO many flavors of UO, that people can enjoy so many varieties. At the same time it divides the community.

So all of these games are niche communities, and are the same genre. PVP based, or hardcore pvp sandbox mmos from the early to mid 2000s. They all have similar populations, and they all experience huge player increases after wipes. The most popular servers have active devs and marketing, the stagnant servers don't wipe and or have limited development. There is a direct correlation between wiping or opening a new server, and population.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 Rigon, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

Something like this would be fun to a player like me, but I imagine there are some players who are heavily invested into their banks who would not be so happy. I do feel that the game needs a wipe though. There are so many items in the game now that top tier items like cobras and r70's are the norm.

#2 Brando Pando, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  3. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

The league system works well in a lot of games path of exile is one of them. However the issue with the league systems is that there is usually a big increase in population for the first few weeks, then it just drops off loads which is killer for a pvp game.

Another issue is it would piss off a lot of players who have put a lot of time into farming items never expecting it to be wiped.

I think the biggest issue when it comes to RoA is new leagues require new content for a reason for people to keep coming back, which I doubt RoA is in a position to do.

4. Kiyayne

Kiyayne Goblin Shaman

If it wipes I'm done with darkfall

5. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

I'm on board with seasonal wipes with the current state of the game and how easy it is to progress. New start of a server has always been the most fun times for me.

propain likes this.
  6. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Affluent Legend

yep lets just keep going onward with our millions of gold and endless gear bags. toodles.

Blaze likes this.
  7. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Frostjarl
    Legend Lifetime

what needs to be done is promote kilrain ibis and metalkon to lead developer and let them have full control of the game no community polls

Featherbeans and Fengor like this.
  8. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Gravelord

The first thing they said was we are not a private shard, they do not have this mindset and cannot take example from any successful shards.
    Most of their focus is on stuff that private shards cannot even do (graphics update for example) and they totally despise what private shards usually do (less tedium and more istant gratification).

in short, bgp is the exact opposite of those private shards and will never change approach.

9. Mael

Mael New Member

Does this really have a huge impact though vs. how many people it would upset?

As someone above mentioned, server wipes on a seasonal basis need to be accompanied by new content. I would argue that it would also need to push wiped characters to a legacy server as games like POE mentioned above have. The population doesn't support multiple servers though, and most likely won't for a long time (possibly never).

If TCS is implemented correctly, with mechanics that dissuade having more holdings than your clan can maintain, then the few people with stacked banks in a future state of large population won't matter. Skills are easy to get, and the viabilty of 110 stats vs 120 stats is negligible. For those that got to 120 though, it wasn't an easy grind and would be a huge fu to wipe them. Same with things like shipcrafting mastery etc...

The only way a wipe makes sense is if there is a legacy server to push them to, and enough of a population to support seasonal + legacy. Most importantly though, if TCS is implemented properly and promotes localized PVP with a larger population to support it, the small % of vets now won't have any negative impact on that experience.

10. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

but...they already do this? everyone knows the polls mean jack shit and killrain and the other devs just push their own ideas out regardless of what a poll says lol

Thrill Kill likes this.