Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What would make you log in again? (veterans)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grimtide, Aug 31, 2017.

1. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

The time spent was reducing the gap, not changing a few UI elements. The UI was only done to show players exactly what was happening and when, removing confusion. If we kept it 1 to 100 people would a) not notice an differences as they leveled or b) wondered why they only noticed differences at certain points which was something that happened with the original. This is very concise. Each level provides a 2% increase and that is also where the aoe/splash increases as well. No guessing needed.

Methodico likes this.
  2. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I think that's where you made your mistake.

The biggest hurdle for DF to overcome is the MMO side of its self. I've played many MMOs over the years, and I have to say I don't intend to play one ever again. That's just me.

The PvP game side of DF is okay, but what holds it back is the MMO side that by its very nature demands that everything be time consuming and permanent (like stockpiling a bank and farming loot). So if you look at DF as a PvP game you're going to be very disappointed.

The vast majority of people that played roa and that still play roa play it for the MMO side of its self. Most people that have followed df over the years are complete casuals and pvp pussies. In a PvP game you don't normally get the opportunity to be a giant vagina. In DF you do.

It would be like a game of pubg where 99/100 people landed remote rural drops, then avoided being seen until the final circles. The reality is that in pubg maybe 10 people avoid being seen, and run to the center of circles. Then 50/100 pepole die at school and military in the first 2 minutes of the match.
    --- Post updated ---
    The asIan server died after three months and it was only some months after that it went offline.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

What darkfall needs is more depth and meaning. A reason to log in and do stuff. Bring back racial wars alignment so noobies get some low lvl pvp in starter towns. Either that or do the noobie island. Can't expect a noob to grind grind grind without some fun (pvp).

Next, how about some faction type quests that have meaning behind them. For instance, quests in dwarflands give you positive faction with them but negative with orks so you cannot enter those towns but you get access to a new, special vendor in dwarflands. How about a cool title if you max out dwarf faction and a stat bonus. So inherently, a dwarf cannot normally enter orklands but if he does ork quests and increases faction, then he can.

Progression of player cities. If population is below a certain amount. Certain cities are not available so the population is consolidated without having to reduce the map size.

On the top of my wish list is npc hirelings. This would decrease the overall need for a higher population if you can have npcs running around, the game will be more active.

Make the grind fun and it doesn't have to be reduced. One solution is to increase rewards for pveing and decrease spawn timers. If it is more fun to pve, then you will enjoy the grind. How about if you don't miss after hitting melee, archery, or spells in succession, you get increase in skillup. So you get rewarded for good aim.

4. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Earth Elemental
    Contributor

I think you mean RPG. Darkfall will always be an MMO. I agree, but to be even more specific I think it's the progression side of RPG it that conflicted with the PVP the most.

5. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

upload_2017-9-6_13-30-47.gif

Fengor likes this.
  6. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

I want them to add an arena with seasonal rankings and a que system. Or I want them to just wipe banks/holding every 2 months but keep skills.

Also the maps way to big for the average population. Cut it in half at least.

HeganHatsumo likes this.
  7. Dreadseth

Dreadseth Goblin Warrior

I still log in. However I have hit that wall where I found I am at the end of character progression.
    My bank is lit.
    My crafting is grind is complete.
    None of this in DFO would have been anywhere near complete.
    The grind is no longer a factor. It contributes nothing to the death of darkfall.
    My suggestions from reading the forums, the people I play with, and myself.

1. Content.
    This is obviously the issue. The real question is how can you do this in a small scale team in a timely manner. I am max and I have nothing to do.

Quick History.
    I don't want to say DFO failed because it did not. It harbored 20x more active players in the end than I seen it today. They screwed the pooch by pissing everybody off and launching a class system in DFUW. While not diverting resources to another game and we laid to rot without a meaningful patch in two years. Yet it stayed active because there was CONFLICT. (1) PORTAL CHAMBERS made meaningful connections to player cities and forced sieges and conflict to secure better routes. (2) City mines nearly dropped 5x the amount of rares. These drop 20 a day at BEST making holdings invaluable. (3) The cost of war. Why spend 200-500k to siege a city that has no meaningful value? Wardeck costs 25k (Fuck it just make the carebears in capitals completely safe even from war.) To drop the siege is 100-200k The Stones are 40k Each. One siege can cost nearly a half million gold and the best mob we got to get it is a fire dragon that drops 60k @x3 a day if it is monopolized.

So we have extremely expensive sieges with little to no value to be gained. You have taken out the conflict.You have taken out the very heart and core of the game. Not only have you made sieges wayyyy too costly the mobs drop literally nothing worth farming. (Double Fucked)

MAKE HOLDINGS MEANINGFUL. How?
    The housing structure you have put in builds opportunity yet in your now recurring fashion of fuck loot and the player these things are a raunchy grind.
    (1) Grove. 30-40% Mahogany. ADD SYSTEM MESSAGES AND PORTAL CHAMBERS TO DEFEND THIS VALUABLE ASSET!
    (2) Quarry. Always been useless aside from sulfur once city building was complete.
    LIMESTONE DING DING DING!!!!!!! ADD SYSTEM MESSAGES AND PORTAL CHAMBERS TO DEFEND THIS VALUABLE ASSET!
    (3) Mine. There was nothing more appealing or frightening than sneaking into an enemy hamlet for a loot all and run experience as a noob.
    sure rares should be obtainable outside of a clan I have always agreed. Yet you nerfed them HARD another reason to make it invaluable and a reason not to control it. Give us our assets back. ADD SYSTEM MESSAGES AND PORTAL CHAMBERS TO DEFEND THIS VALUABLE ASSET!
    (4) Control towers are a great idea....Implement it NOW!
    (5) The sky is the limit here but one thing is certain if I have to pay half a Million gold to obtain it. It needs to be worth obtaining and defending. PLUS it Creates CONFLICT which = CONTENT.

VCP
    Maybe you are doing this well +1. We shall see.

2. Aging original active playerbase. Lack of marketing.

Once Content is fixed and you create meaningful conflict. MARKET THAT SHIT!!!!!!!
    I work for a Gaming Industry which relies on habitual gamblers to pay my bills. With all the cards slated in there favor why do people keep coming in? 30-40% of all profits are spent....In marketing...WTF?? These guys gotta have there addiction fed but guess what there is competition right next door that will market there product if we don't. Most of the old vets have kids, lives to live, families to feed, work to go to. This is 10 years later man we are no longer 17-26, more like 26-36. We want to play still but nobody knows about this shit accept for us addicts.

I hope for your success but you have to run this like a business. Rather it is the fucker that comes and unclogs my toilet, to the person that cuts my hair, or the gal that strokes you when your wife is away. They all have one thing in common... THEY ADVERTISE. If a hooker can do it you can do it stop sitting on the pile of gold suck out some of that payroll and go for the bigger purse.

P.S.
    Ice dragon sucks.
    Sea tower sucks.
    Baradron sucks.

Sure PvE is working right now. Add a playerbase and we are all broke as fuck.

**Edit**
    Btw +1 to the racial wars. It brought on conflict..*Cough* CONTENT. Whats the point of being a Saint...If you have no Sheep to defend from the wolves. @Andrew

#207 Dreadseth, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Grimtide likes this.
  8. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

We need
    Portal chambers and best travel like runebook

A system that allow people to find pvp every 10min (villages, special chests visible on map or special mobs visible on map)
    Or a system where you can conquest a structure and defend it for a while like 1 hour, and there you can craft special things or you have a bonus for something

Some pve special contents, like mob that attack cities clan (maybe capital too, so people can party together) and if your guild are not active will lost the city, because mob destroy it (maybe visible on map by everyone)
    Or mega boss that spawn randomly in the world
    Or gates that spawn randomly in the world for special dungeon

This game need some '' fun mini games''
    For pvp and pve maybe for crafting too

And please over head text, so people can speak during actions, for sure an help for new players.

Grimtide likes this.
  9. English Mustard

English Mustard Goblin Warrior

Mine is simply population, the games way too dead for me to play. I'm EU and there's just not enough people playing the game, I know personally 15 of my RL friends all quit at the same time because the game was dead. I'm not sure what they need to do, but the changes they're making are good.. I just think it might be too late. It was frustrating to watch a different company run into almost ALL the same problems that AV ran into; same bugs, same exploits, same bullshit. Darkfall is my favourite game I've ever played and it sucks watching it fail over and over again.

10. aaraym

aaraym Undead Dwarf
    Legend

It makes you wonder if all the people who leave due to lack of population stay if there would be a population....

11. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

people leaving due to lack of population is just a chain reaction of people leaving for other reasons in the first place. X happens, people leave which chains to other people leaving because they see less people on, etc.

Grimtide likes this.
  12. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Make center map great again, put all 5 golem types in center map. Try to place them in sensible locations, no same type golems near other golems already in game. Don't put another veilron golem on the northeast side (already veilron golems in valley of kings), don't put sele golem to the west or southwest (sele golem in wolflands and one near kholesh).

Circa and Fengor like this.
  13. Fishsauce

Fishsauce Goblin Shaman

DFUW classes were the best thing that happened to this game. Group fights were diversed and it really reward the people who can play their classes well in a group (COE roam group for example as they won many outnumbered fights). The class system wasn't perfect of course but it could have been if they continue on with that vision instead of listening to the DF1 try hards toward the end and implemented the custom role which was like a half ass DF1 skill system that we have now. But hey to each its own, of course the DF1 try hards who just couldn't let an outdated game go will keep saying DFUW sucks but the reality is that it was a way better game.

14. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

So you give COE as an example of why UW was good when we all hated classes? The game finally had decent combat towards the end of the game (6 months before the endish when I quit). It still had less of a complete game than DFO did though in 2012. Ironically BPG removed a lot of the big things that kept the population in 2012 DFO alive (portal chambers/GOOD mines/system messages).

Fengor and RootedOak like this.
  15. Circa

Circa Black Knight
    Legend

Personally the best change AV did was remove classes.

The Red King and Sero like this.
  16. Juice

Juice Air Elemental
    Legend

The only thing that would make me log in, and others I have spoken to, is an arena with a ranking system. They could also have a free for all arena system also which would be easy to do.

I am not trying to be a downer here, but ROA just does not have the capability of running this game. Every time they put out a patch, which never really has anything new that is going to bring content, they break the game. The entire time that ROA has had the game, they have not added any content. With ROA being DF veterans, they all knew it needed content, but still nothing.

Also, when ROA staff is posting that their main programmer can't work on a patch because he is busy with his real job, there is a problem.

17. MerleisAirdburne

MerleisAirdburne Black Knight
    Supporter

Arena.
    Rated
    Non-rated

Give us the option to wage gold/items

Give us the option to be full loot, or not full loot for practicing and such.

Still gives people the chance to develop their characters for that extra edge, and promtoes open world pve/pvp as they will need to acquire new items/gold for the arena.

That is what would bring me back, as well as a few of my fwinds

Also, give us a 4th recall to recall to a closed/safe environment for trading.

Chantree and Circa like this.
  18. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

This won't do anything and you know it.

People aren't farming, because whats the point?

Banks are stacked, barely anyway to lose the damn gear, and even then, all you need is a boneset to have fun.

This will create a central location for like 3 days and then people will realize, wait wtf am I even doing this for.
    --- Post updated ---
    The class system in UW was complete and utter fucking trash.

That being said, ROA is definitely going to have to look into some type of limitization/specialization within it's skill system. It's quite evident this game cannot survive on it's current systems in place, and some diversity will need to be brought to the table so the RPers feel useful when they get WTFROFLSTOMPED by people who actually play to compete.

#218 Sero, Sep 7, 2017
    Circa likes this.
  19. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

So you're suggesting we're in need of sinks, like perhaps armor durability loss increase or on death loss? Or perhaps more reasons to lose our banks. Im sure the latter is what you propose.

20. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Not even in the slightest.

Gear isn't going away because barely any conflict is occurring.

Another sink added to gear will just hurt the game/infuriate the playerbase even more. Good gear is difficult enough to acquire for how little of a bonus it gives. Good weapons are all you really need in this game unless you are going against someone who matches you hit for hit, in which case, better armour will give you an advantage.

In order for the turnover rate to increase, the damn gear needs to be used, in order for the damn gear to be used, there needs to be conflict. There is practically none.

No Reason to siege.
    No Reason to go to VCPs/Sea Towers (Like Sea Towers are even fun anyways)
    No Reason to roam.

Do you guys realize thats all we have to do for real PVP content? That's it, right there, those 3 things.

There is no endgame goal for Darkfall, it's what you make it.

Wolves play it for the fun PVP/Full Loot
    Sheep play MMORPGs for the RP/Bank Building Pixel Hoarding.

Guess what:
    - There is no RP. If i wanted to RP in Darkfall, It'd be better to go outside and fucking LARP, not play a videogame and make shit up in my head.
    - You reduced the grind, Coolbeans, Now what?
    - Building a bank isn't hard, and you're reducing the gear grind/limiting gear gap EVEN FURTHER. What does a sheep do once his bank is built and he's hoarded pixels? Guess what, it's not go and PVP, because all that is, is a net loss.
    - Siegeing is a net loss
    - VCPs are a net loss. Time could be spent doing more interactive things to acquire more valuable items than useless ass current VCP loot.
    - Roaming is quite literally the most boring waste of time this game has to offer

I laugh at all you idiots on here saying we need an Arena.

Where the hell were you in beta when I practically wrote an essay on why we should have an Arena and how much it would improve the economy/give people a reason to play.

Elo Rating = Another reason to bang/more content
    Instant bang = more gear breaking/loss = more reason to farm
    Farming = open world activity/reason to siege (good farming spots)

Simplest fucking cause and effect formula ever conceived.

#220 Sero, Sep 7, 2017
    GrimReapiN likes this.