Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What would make you log in again? (veterans)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grimtide, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

You do realise I'm taking the piss out of all the Forumfallers here who make contradictory statements just like that all day?

Like the people who said:

"There is no grind! I finished my character in 3 days! We don't need grind reduction!"

Then less than 2 months later said:

"You reduced the grind and now I've got nothing to do! Oh well I'll log out and not play the game! I NEED CONTENT! WHERES THE CONTENT!"

Or then there's the people who are like:

"I want trading to be more meaningful!"

Then in game they're like:

"WTB Justicebringer 4k gp - only like a 40% loss on cost I'm being generous!"

Or when the new patch came out people were saying:

"I lost HP! TTK IS GOING TO BE NOTHING NOW EVERYONE WILL DIE IN 2 SECONDS!!!!111"

Whilst other people, frequently the same people, just in different threads were saying:

"Damage has been nerfed! NOW EVERY FIGHT WILL TAKE 10 MINUTES!"

Or before the "Pivotal Moment" Post, people were like:

"Darkfall isn't for casuals. It's a hardcore game. If you don't have the time to play it, don't."

Then after the pivotal patch, the same people were like:

"BPG BPG! Listen to ME! I'm a casual! Listen to everything I say. You know, as the casual gamer that I CLEARLY AM and no one should question that obvious fact, I think the best thing to do with RoA is..."

Long story short:

Most people on forums are full of shit.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Dixie Normus and Battle Smurf like this.
  2. sky

sky Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor

I feel like you are just pulling these examples out of your ass and not really considering the context any of them were used in.

The grind was short, and you can add content to the game that is genuinely fun to participate in that isn't a grind. (Villages and sieges are prime examples of fun, non-grindy content.) Also. after speaking with many people who complained about the grind, the complaints usually went from "the grind is too short" or "the grind is too long" to "the grind is really boring and tedious regardless of length", which i think was the core problem to begin with. It ISN'T and WASN'T fun to grind up your character, it was a CHORE. The people who did it quickly are people that did one of three things: sat aside boredom and focused on the task (sero "adderall" nys, love u buddy), cheesed it using essences and scribing by abusing the raw gold/hr of cairn giant rotas (nexox/creamy cathy and the boys), or exploited broken mob spawns, particularly hobgoblins at the time i believe. (not going to name names here without concrete proof)

Trading isn't meaningful, im no expert on anything economy related, but, when i played the game you simply farmed cairn giants until you had a huge bank, and 90% of your expenses were on regs and regs alone. High end gear wasn't too expensive and was simply limited by the ore. The only real big sellers were ores and housing mats. (Bear in mind i haven't played in a month or two, so i don't know how it is now.) Basically it felt like a chore, you had like two desirable subsets of resources that were about the only thing anyone was interested in buying or selling and that was about it.

People passionate about any game tend to over-react to any changes, and you can usually tell by the fallout over the course of a month what it actually means for the game. Refer to people bitching about changes in any modern competitive game. When a change has fallout that lasts for a long time it usually gets reverted, but people tend to start out with a bad perspective on a change without testing it, and if it is a good change, they won't complain after its been out a while.

Literally my daily tasks after finishing my character were a little like this:
    Login my main and my trading alt
    Harvest wood/stones on trading alt
    Advertise housing mats/rare ores for sale/complete sales while grinding gold
    Iklit dailies
    Hit up one of the boys and farm the midmap dark dragons/gargantuas/gardorocs and keep them on CD while dueling in bloodscar or aradoth while we waited for them to respawn
    Rinse or repeat until we decided to roam/do villages, at which point 9/10 of our fights would end up like this fight here.
    Go back to dueling and t1 mob rotas or logout.

If it was a good day, maybe throw in a few sieges.

Prime example of a really engaging game, i'm not quite sure how you can defend it. At it's core its an amazing game, with an insanely high skill ceiling with some of the most talented veterans of any game, but, beyond that it is incredibly bland, stale, and empty.

This isn't helped at all when it was paired with an extremely awful release, probably one of the worst on the MMO market alongside it being a full loot pvp/territory control style game with no meaningful conquest or political interactions, and thats almost as sad as the launch because it undermines the entire purpose of the game.

#282 sky, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Goblin Warlord
    Hero

If people gave fair fights instead of zerging for bonesets, going out to roam only to get zerged makes the game boring af.

4. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

The only things right now that would actually bring me back in instantly, it's the removal of self buffs/buff others or making them last seconds like 30 seconds. For the self buffs, i just don't want them to be mandatory. I think you should be able to activate 1 or 2 buff at a time or there has to be a trade-off for every buff you wish to pull-up like a mana-max reduction or anything.

5. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Yo don't hate because I do kickers, and like, fkin twisters, and drink 2000 dollars worth of milk...
    --- Post updated ---
    The problem here is that you don't have people to form your own zerg with (which is ok, ZvZ isn't always everyones cup of tea), but theres no outlets for proper smaller scale.

quietnoobz and sky like this.
  6. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Goblin Warlord
    Hero

fgdfgdfg dfgdfgdfg dgdfgdfgdfg dfg dfgdfg dfg dfgdfg dfg dfgdf gdf dfgdf gdfg fffffffff ffddddd ddddf fffff ggggg hhhhh jjjjj kkkkk llll sdfsdfdfd
    The game either needs thousands of people playing or arena only way to fix it.

7. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Your Darkfall experience sounds like one of the 10% of Darkfall players who experienced the game like that.

Firstly, not everyone lived on Cairn. Secondly, not everyone had/has an alt.

A lot of people today are crying about not enough to do, when they literally play across two accounts.

If you split the workload between two accounts then of course you'll find there's "no a lot to do".

Trading should be meaningful, in that it should give players a meaningful task to do in game, and create meaningful interactions between players. Unfortunately the way it stands right now, it doesn't give people anything meaningful to do, mainly due to the fact that crafters generally sell their wares at a 10-40% loss.

I'm different in that regard in the fact that I don't really craft anything but a few things which I need on a regular basis that are hard to find someone who's willing to craft it for me on a ongoing basis.

So, someone who actually WANTS to play the game as a crafter is forced out of the game by min-maxers who are willing to sell at 10-40% loss just so they can get their crafting up, and ultimately quit the game cause they "finished levelling" whilst never actually supplying anything to anyone because there's no advantage for them doing so.

This closes the door for any meaningful interaction as a trader because quite literally the stock you hold is worth more as base materials than as finished goods.

Not to mention the fact that because everyone is using an alt to farm materials it takes away the incentive for players to actually fill the roles of things like "logger", "miner", "fisherman", "chef". Dozens of people playing the game in non-combat roles are what makes an MMO like Darkfall feel alive. Take away from that with every second person having an alt (some people having 2, 3, or 4 even), and the game world feels dead.

kingp43 and sky like this.
  8. sky

sky Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor

Even if i didn't have an alt, I made more than enough money from t1 mob rotations. Even without Cairn Giants, DD's/Gardorocs/Gargantuas still made me more than enough to entice me to pretty much not trade, but after the tokens were implemented there was no reason to not have an alt. (at least for me, and i shared the account with all 15 or so of my guildmates who pitched in for its premium as well, which basically made the price of the tokens nonexistent.)

Either way, yes, i do agree to a certain extent. I don't know how you would fix this in an effective way without making the game unnecessarily tedious though.

I will also agree my experience probably isn't in line with the majority, i play most games in a way that minimizes time spent doing tasks i don't enjoy, so i can do what i like to do as efficiently as possible.

9. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Technically, sharing an account is against ToS.

Selling an account or even giving it to someone else is also against ToS.

10. sky

sky Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor

don't care at this point, nobody involved has played in many months, it wasn't a hidden fact. Thread was made for public feedback, i gave it, if they want to punish us they could have done it long ago, and can do so now. Their game.

/shrug

Fengor likes this.
  11. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

It wasn't said because I'm expecting punishment for anyone, it's said because they clearly never wanted people sharing accounts.

Tonnes of people have shared accounts over the history of Darkfall and it does convey a benefit to people who do it.

If 3 people, for example, share an account for trade purposes, that's 3 people who don't need to travel in game from point A to point B to trade.

Less people travelling makes the game world look even more dead.

12. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

sharing an account is not against the tos it's discouraged so people don't get "hacked".

selling an account is against the tos, i'm not sure about giving.

Circa, Fengor and Scrubby Bear like this.
  13. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

For someone with a 141 IQ you are really bad at inferring things.

Here, let me copy and paste the definition of Inferring so you dont have to look it up before you respond.

in·fer
    inˈfər/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: inferring
    1. deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.
      "from these facts we can infer that crime has been increasing"

14. otoan

otoan Crypt Guard
    Loyal

Cairn giants weren't the only way to make money. Not sure why everyone is mentioning them. They dropped like 100 gold more than ice jarls and took twice as long to kill and comparatively a lot more contested.

The game needs a lot of things to be playable by any sort of population. One of them being an easy way to gear up. However, if you make it easy to get up but no way for the gear to deplete than the risk/reward aspect of DFO combat disappears. So you need an ease to gear up and some mechanism to get rid of unused gear sets as time passes so risk/reward continues. There needs to be some sink anyway because unlike games like WoW that continuously bring out expansions that devalue the cost of gold each time, this game probably won't do that so something needs to be in place to allow someone to come into game and not feel a year behind.

Sadly when I mentioned this in suggestions everyone bashed it only thinking of their own little world instead of the overall health of the game.

15. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I lived on cairn since the first day. No one killed them except for us and Instinct/Brutal. Every other clan was eliminated from the continent by Brutal. Legio had like 80 actives, but lived in the worst holding on Cairn.

EDIT: there was no portal to cairn, so everyone was stuck on mainland. I used to remember how many times I died before I finished my character. It was like 3 or 4 times over 3 weeks. Farmed Cairn Giants non-stop next to Vakrah.

#295 RootedOak, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Fengor likes this.
  16. kingp43

kingp43 Goblin Shaman
    Hero

This hits home for me big time. I never wanted to actually do a bunch of crafting, but I kinda had to. So sad that there was never a skill cap in place and people could literally do everything in the game. I'd make weapons, armor, staves, whatever you want.... I couldn't sell them in the stupid trade chat, I'd offer them to clan mates, I'd load up the clan bank, and nobody wanted / used them. Because? Everyone else was doing the exact same thing. Everyone could make r40 everything, it was stupid, and still is.

A game like this needs miners, blacksmiths, loggers, etc. Give people a "role" in a role playing game what a concept. That and the complete shit in game communication just kills it for me.

17. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Bump, relevant

Don't really see many asking for combat changes, do you?

Isaac Clarke and Sero like this.
  18. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Varangian Warthane
    Hero

+1

19. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

i think bpg at the end of the day is looking for new blood.

ppl who is weird af understand the complexity of df combat

20. Void

Void Varangian Warthane
    Loyal Legend

Give holdings value, Iam sure no one had said that before