Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Whats I miss from New Dawns Patch Notes (nothing major)

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Ryco Stormeye, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Undead Dwarf

Hi All,

Just a few things that I feel would be usefull in RoA without changing anything major or the direction of the game. I have copied from New Dawns patch notes.

UI

Introduction of the Weapons bar.
    Disable small text location on screen by default.
    You can now equip yourself and use consumables while resting
    Monster Graves are no longer open at random but next to the backpack window.

There is now an item comparison system. The first use is to compare equipped armors or weapons with other items.

Inventory Items grouping: When focusing an inventory or a selection, you can now regroup all items to be visible and easily accessible. The purpose is to set the inventory in a way that makes it easy for players to sort their inventory. Bags and stackable items, like reagents or gold, will keep the position you've given them. The default binding is U.

Hotbar slots now have a button in their menu allowing to set a direct bind to them.

There is now a loot all button in monster inventories, the F key also allows to trigger that action. When running out of arrows, they will automatically be equipped if there are any in the player's inventory.

Quests

Added quests in starter zones for new player to get a mount
    Daily quests now have a 22h cooldown instead of a 24h cooldown.
    Quest tracker

Weapons and Weapon Skills

1handed weapons – reach to 2.15 (roa has 2.1)
    Buffed Shield Protections

Seize skills will now have 2 times the reach of a normal attack.- Seize's opportunity cost has been increased: the base cooldown has been increased to 10 seconds, being lowered on faster weapons, and its stamina cost has been drastically increased.

All similar weapon skills share cooldowns with each other. Weapon attack speed still factors in frequency.

Map

Spawn markers are now much more detailed, showing monster numbers and repartition.
    If you research specific resources or items, monsters dropping/skinning them will be shown as results, with detailed amount.
    You can now search for lootable/skinned resources from monster loot tables.

Mounts

Mounts can now carry inventories for their owners:
    Bluetails can carry 300kg.
    Racial mounts can carry 600kg.
    Battlehorn can carry 1000kg.

You can now interract from the comfort of your mount with the following objects: Banks, Players, Corpses, Dynamic chests, Strongboxes, NPCs

Timed blocking

-Starting to parry will interrupt your current attack
    - When you start to parry, there is a 0.5s window where you will do a "timed" block/parry with maximum damage mitigation.
    - Starting to parry costs 4 stamina and keeps the character parrying for 0.3s.
    - After the perfect parry window, there is a 0.5s period where damage mitigation progressively lowers down to regular parrying values.
    - Perfect blocking a melee attack with a shield will cost stamina to the attacker proportionally to the damage mitigated.
    - Damage mitigation values are as follows:
    - One handed and shield: 80% timed, 50% regular.
    - Two handed weapons: 65% timed, 35% regular.
    - One handed alone: 50% timed, 25% regular.
    - Disabling blow and disabling shot:
    - Can only be done on a character that is parrying or has been parrying in the last 200ms.
    - Lasts 2 to 4 seconds and has a cooldown of around 8 to 10 seconds depending on weapon attack speed.

Magic

Bolts now cost only one reagent, the reagent of the school
    Instant Ray global cooldown, lowered individual cooldown (allows you to use only one Ray)
    Mana missile can now be used under water

Monsters

• Monsters should no longer slide or have a hitbox after their death, and graves should appear and disappear instantly.
      - When a monster is dead but still in its death animation, its health bar should look empty to reduce confusion.

• Artificial Intelligence:
      In an effort to make the game better rounded and to prevent easy exploiting, we made a first scouting pass and a few preliminary tweaks to test out the AI framework.
      This is a first foray into these systems but they show a lot of promise, and we expect a lot of feedback to improve the PvE experience in a challenging and engaging way.

- Monsters will be a lot more careful about doing friendly fire.
      - Monsters will try to move around when they do not have a clean line of sight.
      - Monsters getting stuck either through geometry or aggro will try to force their way through to the players.
      - Monsters will change tactics faster when they notice they are getting hit without hitting players.

2. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

"Just a few things that I feel would be usefull in RoA without changing anything major"

-Instant Ray global cooldown

Don't get me wrong I like a lot of the QoL stuff suggested but even things like cancel spells and ray global cooldowns affects a ton in the way of combat. Combat has been played with enough.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Ryco Stormeye

With the ray thing I just think rather than having 6 rays you can spam every 1.5 seconds. Would it not be better to have 1 ray you can spam every 1.5 secs?

Methodico and Raap like this.
  4. Bonii

Bonii Infernal
    Tester

Holy fuck why did anyone think it’d be better for the New Dawn players to come here.

You have literally just listed all of ND’s dogshit ideas, with a few meh ones.

God save us if they listen to you guys about changing combat, then we’ll just have a repeat of a sinking game.

5. Ryco Stormeye

I didnt write anything about magic overhall, titles or local banking. Chill man these are tiny QoL improvements

Raap likes this.
  6. Buuzz

Buuzz Goblin Scout

here's nothing major for ye
    ND
    ███████▄▄███████████▄ND
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█ND
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█ ND
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓███░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ██████▀░░█░░░░██████▀ND
    ░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
    ░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█ND
    ░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
    ░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀ Down the Drain ND
    ND

BeatIt and Bonii like this.
  7. Lincoln Hawk

Lincoln Hawk Fire Elemental
    Legend

Let me give you an example of how things you perceive to be small QoL changes can have a much larger impact than you think.

Your ray change idea, most people would pick impale as their one ray to spam, it does arcane damage which even with rings is probably one of the lowest protections going, and so its solid against heavy armour users/mages alike, one of the easier rays to hit as you can drag it etc etc.

Now new players coming into the game, dont understand the need for arcane jewellery so they are machine gunned down in literal seconds, BPG has to do something about this so they change Impales damage to Acid. You now swing the balance of combat in favour of heavies, which have already been buffed numerous times to be literal walking damage sponges of death.

Its very easy to think suggestions are "small" but the ripple effect they can have can actually be huge.

8. Ryco Stormeye

Linsoln thank you for the decent reply. Your right I had not considerd that point of view regarding the rays. What do you think of the other things?

9. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

The QoL things are fine but no New Dawn combat - shit failed so fast and it wouldve been faster had us dumb Americans not played over there at launch.

Sieze was fucking straight broken and you want to bring that here??? LOL

10. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

I'd love to see shield protections increased, especially since disabling blow exists, shields need some love. Also, shields still have lower lightning protection, so that needs to be fixed. One-handed weapons having a little extra damage sounds nice too.

Blaze likes this.
  11. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Good ideas IMO:
    1. Loot all button on graves.
    2. Quest in newbie zone so newbies can get a mount faster
    3. MAP UI improvement - can search for materials and see spawn size

Good idea but would take too much dev time:
    1. AI improvement

Idea that sounds good but would just make low ping players have even more advantage:
    1. Timed blocking

12. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

I'm pretty sure you get a mount in the tutorial if you follow all the stuff.

Blaze and Billy Lee like this.
  13. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

I think I did about 10-15 starter quests on an alt I made and I don't remember getting a mount.

Making it be available right away for new players would be a nice quality of life improvement.

14. Ryco Stormeye

I think having seize be usefull is something that can be worked on. It dosnt need to be a straight carbon copy from DnD. Surley it can be tweaked so that its usefull but not overpower4ed.

Raap and Billy Lee like this.
  15. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

It's already too easy to stickyback as a good player. Adding seize would just make combat a joke.

I'd suggest you focus on suggesting QoL, lore-based, or quest-related improvements/ideas. If you do, then you'll have a greater reception from the playerbase on both sides of the pond.

The Red King and Blaze like this.
  16. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

new dawn died for a REASON
    --- Post updated ---
    You get one after hitting some herb bushes (it shows up in the bank)

Blaze and Bonii like this.
  17. Monolitas

Monolitas New Member

Coming from New Dawn, i really miss those simple things! im not talking about rays or what not, im talking about things like pressing " U" to automatically sort your inventory for you. I always find myself just annoyed how messy it is and you need to drag things around to find them... ALT+darg does the same thing as " U" in the new dawn, but it applies to all items in the bag/bank/inventory, it aligns items nicely and by type.
    Auto looting! When i started playing ND i hated this feature, but after killing million of mobs i started to appreciate it. It does not loot everything at the same time, it loots one by one, and the speed you looting depends on the weight of the item.
    Weapon bar. This was one of the best features in new dawn, you can actually equip weapon into the slot and then apply default spell or skill onto the slot. Also you can drag that specific slot onto a spell on a hot bar, and it automatically will be equipped if you press that button. It was great way to lower the ceiling for new players. I asked my friend to try this game (ROA), he never tried any of dark falls. He was fumbling and struggling to get used to this mechanic. Really miss these features.

18. Methodico

Methodico Infernal

I say this one year ago.... We need to semplify!
    --- Post updated ---
    I ask for weapons bar too......... One years ago....

19. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

And this reason isn't listed in this topic.

New Dawn killed itself because it did half-baked ideas such as local banking without a way to transport goods. It did, in general, just remove content without adding anything back for it, while overburdening players with piles upon piles of tedious horse shit mechanics that simply resulted in the game being an attrition zone that excelled at bleeding players out of it at incredible rates.

That is not to say it had no good changes. The OP managed to list most of the ones worth mentioning (excluding the action queue, which RoA needs). These aren't features that defined ND, they were QoL improvements that stopped it from sinking even faster. If RoA had some of these - even as an optional toggle - then you'd only get a better game for it.

HenkBot likes this.
  20. Methodico

Methodico Infernal

Impale damage is a shit thing! Why only one spell make arcane damage (and is not an arcane spell hahaha XD) ? And why everyone have to gear jewelry? Because of one spell, impale. This is a crazy bug shit thing that they have to change from day one