Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Where we are in 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by franchisee, Jun 20, 2020.

1. franchisee

franchisee Wildtribe Mage

I was chastised for trying to cater to a map size of 800 player's when we had close to that. Pleading that we would be where we are now... Which is the same size map with less than 100 players... absolutely no enjoyment in the game other than the PVP.

But It's never too late...

Player retention is still important. And the perception of activity is the the foundational baseline of psychology for obtaining that.

In order to take the least expensive approach to this would be shrinking the map and removing all incentive's for 10+ groups and bring groups of 5 or less back in the mix. THIS HAS TO HAPPEN TO RECREATE THE DIVERSITY IN PVP. For the last year it has been the same 4 guild's fighting each other. And soon as player's cannot log in sufficient number's that guild goes inactive...

Below is a post for reference from 2016

I'll use Albion Online as a reference, when I joined their Beta almost a year ago the player base was so big that the map was not big enough causing an extreme over populated world. within minutes multiple groups would be running up on your farming spot to either try to fight or steal your kills. During the day I could barely get any experience because of spawns being down or constant fights and only in the late off hours could I really power level my character without any interruptions.

This is something we are far from having. The world is extremely too large for the current population. We need to make it much smaller so more interaction happens to distract us from the grind and bring more player interaction in the game. I suggest we remove cairn,ruby,yssam,nif. In return you would need to take some of the Island specific mobs and put them on Agon (Human lands Fire Dragon ftw). More importantly this would chunk out so much wasted land in the world. The devil spawn is the only mob spawn that is fought over everyday and this should tell you something. We have too many spawns causing no need to fight over the majority of mob spawns. Everyone is in their own part of the world leveling uninterrupted to the point of boredom and this isn't okay. There are too many houses, too many village control points, too many cities. Albion online would have dozens of sieges everyday because of the demand was so high and not enough resources. Here we have too many resources to where "everyone is allowed to have a piece of the pie" when the point in PVE in PVP game is to initiate conflict of interest. If you remove part's of the world and make it smaller it will help tremendously with interaction which is content within itself. and this could also allow you to use the removed areas to revamp, restructure and use them as patch content in the months to come.

#1 chance21021, Apr 2, 2016

https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/the-reality-of-darkfalls-current-situation.3840/

#1 franchisee, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    nerdSlayer, Methodico, Tormod and 4 others like this.
  2. HenkBot

HenkBot Goblin Shaman
    Contributor

Im not completely sure on whether or not to do this, but it should be seriously considered.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Methodico, franchisee and Bonii like this.
  3. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Are you saying that shrinking the map will result in smaller groups? I don't see the logic in that idea.

For instance, adding in village billboard shrunk the map, but still people go to them in large groups. As long as this game is full loot, there is always going to be an incentive to go to any PVP encounter with as many people as possible.

I definitely think something drastic like this needs to be done however. BPG should have some kind of community discussion to figure out where to go from here, because its quite obvious their current plan is shit and needs to change.

4. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Staff Member Developer Loyal Legend

No, I think "disincentivize people from forming groups larger than n" was merely a second request on top of shrinking the world.
    The world has already been shrunk in practice via billboards and relocating virtually any good stuff away from the 6 racial areas, and physically shrinking the world would be absurd at this point.
    His second request is difficult because people want to win and often do bring an army to a Forest Golem or Baradron if that's what it takes to win against 1-2 people. That's part of open world PVP. With that said, if people are out farming they will generally want to do it solo or in small groups (Which currently happens with champions and some tasks), so giving people reasons to go out and farm is one way that this can be achieved. That by itself is difficult, but I think steps have been taken in that direction already eg by buffing champs, tasks, and subcontinent dungeons.

5. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

Yes we Need a smaller map like UW. Not consensual pvp It Is more fun. And the feeling of a empty world kill mostly new players experience. We are in 2020 and It Is still impossible to speak with another player in game, we still have a old chat, ultima online it's older but have a Better chat system. All this stuff mixed in a old game with a shit graphic, make new people run from df. And i dont want to speak about Key bindings, ready bags and enchanting (we still wait for in game recipes and a Better ui).....

Auron and MaxiHori like this.
  6. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Literally nothing you change in this game will save it at this point. Just enjoy it for what it is.

MaxiHori, Porch, KeithStone and 8 others like this.
  7. franchisee

I definitely disagree. But the likelihood of doing what is necessary for it to succeed is doubtful.

8. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Better keybinds...ready bags...add arena...add battle royale mode...

Porch likes this.
  9. Itwas Luck

Itwas Luck Gravelord

the amount of people potentially interested in a game like Darkfall is a relatively small number. A large portion of this already small number has already had bad enough experiences where the likelihood of them returning is probably nonexistent tbh.

#9 Itwas Luck, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  10. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

True, the story of all my Friends....

The Red King likes this.
  11. Void

Void Varangian Warthane
    Loyal Legend

Hah nice try

12. Smile

Smile Skeleton Archer

I don't think we need drastic changes to the game itself - like removal of islands. PvE spots are empty not because there are that few people that they cant find each other on the map. Single location spots of high end mobs/materials are empty too. PvE spots are empty simply because most veterans do not need to farm that often or at all. Veterans actually don't NEED to do anything in this game any more. They duel or do villages. And as mostly veterans are left world is empty.

In my opinion what darkfall needs is two things:
    - more work put into newbie experience. A tutorial island maybe? And/or solid video tutorials that newbies are required to watch IN GAME after first login/logins? Better written introduction of what darkfall is? Explanation of core mechanics like encumbrance, lawful/lawless, pvp stances, playstyles (destro vs mage), key bindings, village areas.
    - less afk available resources (yes, I'm talking about city nodes) - push people into open world (mobs, nodes, etc)

Game mechanics might be adjusted in small steps/tweaks but newbie experience is terrible in this game. This game is overwhelming and has dire consequences - while there is close to zero help.

Don't ask us to introduce every newbie to the game. It is your (devs) responsibility. I've been playing darkfall for years and there is only that many times you can stomach another series of introduction speeches. Not only I am not giving them myself any more. I have to change channel when there is anyone else willing to teach.

#12 Smile, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  13. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Fixed that for you

The Red King likes this.
  14. franchisee

Logical and valid argument. But this style of game is not one of many. There is no competition other than with itself. And that's to create fluid content. The game also does not need 150k players to be sustainable. 5k players on a server would suffice, 10 or 15k would be insane.

If we woke up one day and this game had 5 or 10k players I could bet money on it that 75% of all player's who have played this game for at least 2 years would come back to try it again.

Yes.. the majority of the player's who have touched this game are burned out and disappointed. But if something happened, change, real change and it showed a real population. Everyone who has played this game and if gaming is still their hobby.. would at least try it one more time.

But how do we get there? If BPG cannot afford a huge expensive marketing push. Then player retention is of the highest priority.. For a game like this to grow slowly, it has to feel populated at all level's of it's growth. No one is going to stick around to participate in it's slow growth if the game looks dead like it does now. So we have to change the perception of the game by making it look populated even with 100 players. Then... as the game becomes more populated.. Adjust the maps size accordingly to correlate with it's population.

I said it back in Alpha.... closing off all the island's and drastically changing them and using them for expansion content once the population rose would be an epic decision. Every player would have half a map to explore and find thing's.

Stealing Albion Online siege mechanics would be the single greatest change to this game that would have the greatest effect on population growth, player retention, and it's overall success.. I'm not joking even the slightest. It's essentially a team-based battle ground that is structured for equal skill level fights the majority of the time. Exactly what everyone has been requesting for the last 2+ years.

Any player who started this game and killed a player or almost killed a player stayed around a lot longer than the player's who died in 10 seconds every fight they were in not comprehending what it took to not die.

Albion Online siege mechanics would be a monumental change for the ability of noobs fighting noobs and having the ability to have a 10 min fight and if they don't win they didn't die in 10 seconds ultimately giving them the taste of that addicting DFO heart pumping adrenaline that we all experienced when we started this game so many years ago.

#14 franchisee, Jun 24, 2020
    Methodico, Porch and Fengor like this.
  15. Porch

Porch Goblin Warlord
    Loyal

I know the following will never happen but here it goes. Player retention is key. I know its a pain in the ass but the vet clans need to take new players as well. Defiance, Ass, Blackwater etc. I think by now we should see that our current model of noob clans taking players that eventually graduate to joining vet clans dosent work. Get them in take them to pve villages etc. Get them hooked before they get frustraded and quit.

We (Mongols) have recently been doing this. I wouldnt want to even see what the percentage of noobs who stick around is but im sure its awful. We all love df and its us to do what we can to help it thrive.

16. Smile

Smile Skeleton Archer

You are delusional if you think that removing islands will change anything in perception of how populated this game is. You would have to literally remove everything but humanlands to make it feel even mildly populated (because then some people would stop teleporting and started riding).

Amount of teleportation available in RoA made distance irrelevant. Your idea will change nothing but put a lot of work on devs that I rather see them put elsewhere. You can literally achieve the same you would have achieved by simply disabling spawns.

As long as there is no reason to roam open world it will remain empty. As long as there is no reason to do something (farm mats, mobs, platinum) players will not do it. It's about content and game mechanics, not distance (especially in RoA).

#16 Smile, Jun 24, 2020
    Mea Kulpa likes this.
  17. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

you didn't understand his speech, the problem Is not the traveling time, Is that if we have a map for 10k player and we are 100 the world Will seem empty expecially for new players. Chat system Is a shit so It Is impossibile to ask for help or stop someone that want Attack you(i speek about new players) . Most of the pve spot are empty because most of them are useless, enchanting that Is basic in this game, It's still a hidden feature. So a new player start in a old game with no people, no explanations and the feeling of playing a tedious and hard game.
    --- Post updated ---
    For example After weeks i decide to play df, i start to make a bag,
    after 10 minutes I was so bored (Just to make a bag, and I only had to craft a few things) that i disconnected.

#17 Methodico, Jun 24, 2020
  18. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

If you only reduce the points of interest you Will have only an even more empty world. We need a place where you can have random encounters, where you can find random friends or enemies, a living world.

19. Smile

Smile Skeleton Archer

Removal of islands will not change anything. World will still be too big to not teleport everywhere. It will not add reasons to act. It will not push anyone to roam open world as nothing will change in this regard. Just a waste of devs time.

#19 Smile, Jun 24, 2020
  20. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

In fact i think that we Need a world big as Kairn.