Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Who Played the Best Game of Politics?

Discussion in 'Clan Discussion' started by koruun, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Marvin

Marvin Crypt Guard

I think in the time when Darkfall was truly alive and well The Mercs played the best game of thrones.

Once people began to lose faith in the future of the game in the hands of Aventurine then the rest of what happened was really irrelevant.

2. mcdoogs

mcdoogs Chosen of Khamset

oh shit, triggered

EU was pretty stagnant politically by the time the rest of NA players transfered, NA stagnated a few months later. There were still beefs and feuds and shit going on of course, but the actual political meta with the spying, propaganda, pacts, backstabbing, etc pretty much died off :(

3. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

I witnessed all of that happened through out my time playing. Only time that it wasn't as prevalent was in DF:UW.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. HighTimes

HighTimes Gravelord
    Legend

No mention of King manus yet? He owned half the map.

5. mcdoogs

If you say so, everything just felt so much smaller and more personal after the first year of mass player exodus plus the community being split into two servers to me. Every group seemed to be more or less familiar with every other group left. I'm sure people still spied but.....did anyone care?

#25 mcdoogs, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  6. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

If part of being the best is to last untill the game shut down...i think most have been mentioned (on the EU side of things at least).
    But there were a lot of great leaders who accomplished a lot through politics.
    Hard to really just call 1 out as the best imo.

7. mcdoogs

Yeah, Gluttony though managed to lie cheat bully and steal his way into 2-3x Hyperion's numbers and zerged Manus right off the map, even with Afghanistan helping Hyp. hyperion just crumbled, so glut > man-anus

Osium deserves some credit too for politicking/propaganda, people still are butthurt about themercs, who were only like 20 core dudes. That's pretty crazy considering how many people were playing back then.

#27 mcdoogs, Mar 30, 2016
  8. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Towards the end of the game even, I met some nice chinese farmers who befriended me in a dungeon I was farming in. Then not even a minute later, I hear chain buffing coming from the entrance and low and behold. An opposing Chinese farmer company came in to wipe the opposing Chinese Farmers. I helped the guys I met in the dungeon, they gave me all sorts of ridiculous gear and mats, would ask for me to come with them if they got wiped by the enemy chinese farmers.

There was a whole cartel underground going on between warring chinese factions, I often wondered how they even get anything done down there, but I would go to sleep, wake up, go to work, come back home, and they would never have left.

I made a joke to one of them saying "Are you guys part of the Chinese Triad?" and his reply was "HA HA no, no worry, we not, no worry", what made it funny was that there was a 30 second pause, and he said "no worry"..

Being genuinely solo and living out of the NPC cities or chaos cities with no in game contact with "like faces" has exposed me to the underground culture of the everyday player. Met all sorts of bizzare people while playing solo. Very fun experience.

It was like, Lord Zanuul/Wes Furtive/insert random human hero, but not, because it was the degenerate Alfar side of the NPC world. Full of vagabonds and swindlers.

#28 SenseiSpades, Mar 30, 2016
  9. Bojangles

Bojangles Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Mcdoogs' dubious drunk plan he had while on a stroll through Aradoth is the best piece of politics I have witnessed first hand.

Synik, Umberto, Fengor and 1 other person like this.
  10. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Legend

lmao +1

11. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

I know a fellow by the name of Irondik Mcglongcawk. He did politics by swinging his sword and iron cawk.

12. Xaine

Xaine Goblin Warlord
    Legend

To be fair, it's probably fairly easy to roll with 20 core guys when you all knew the ins and outs of macroing/exploiting to get high level characters/gear. 95% of the server didn't know about that shit for at least a month. The Mercs advantage in terms of character progression was completely absurd.

I'm not hating either, exploiting was rampant in many forms back in the day - they had the knowledge, did it best and put that power to work.

13. Machinist

Machinist Deadeye

celiah ailey

Kozzion and Forgotten like this.
  14. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

It's extremely likely that the best political players would be ones you didn't hear of.

If you pulled just the clan leaders..aka the ones who did the politicking, who they thought the best was you would get an entirely different set of answers than polling the general masses.

Shioni, Leg enD and Grimtide like this.
  15. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Damn darkfall really was great in 09/2010 I wish I had stopped to smell the roses more instead of just logging in and saying 1v1 all the time towards the end

It was a LOT more fun in the early days when you didn't know the outcome of a fight before it started or everyone you ran into

I'm excited that EU and NA will finally be on one server again because that was easily the best time of the game even though combat wasn't as skillful back then

Chaos City dynamics and politics are going to be siiiick

PENETRATOR likes this.
  16. Sartina

Sartina New Member
    Supporter

Foggen for sure.
    Mad respect

17. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

Manus was a hardcore roleplayer. For the average Darkfaller, to admit that a RPer owned half the map would be psychologically shattering. So they just don't open that dark, dark closet.

18. whittdogg

whittdogg Goblin Scout
    Legend

Really good question. I always felt politics were at its most dire importance in the very very start of EU1 server. I was part of COTP and highly respected their stand against the Easten empire while we were up in Yssum. Sadly I felt that as much as they tried to rebel, the politics of clans like Virikar and other Yssum alliance clans sorta lead to a tragic end. Some can call that a sell out with Hyperium (I think that is what it was called) but they survived which in the name of politics, that's good playing I guess. Also the Death alliance in early EU1 was another epic group of folks I had the luxury to be a part of. They held pretty much all of the North West with Sunthrone sorta serving as a capital with the lead of Sinister. They held their ground there almost at a 100% rate until NA1 opened. Not sure if that was so much good politics though or just an over oppressing fear of powerful players. That was my experience in early game. Sadly as players dwindled out, politics sorta went flat, but the beginning was some very exciting times. Hope to see such story lines evolve again and this time lead to a growth in population.

#38 whittdogg, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Shioni likes this.
  19. Chuck Zitto

Chuck Zitto Gravelord
    Legend

DestLocke likes this.
  20. Marvin

Marvin Crypt Guard

Celiah Ailey the Terror of Yssam, was the greatest role player and leader in the game.

For one simple reason he had some of the worst player skilled players within his ranks yet managed to get the best out of them and control Yssam.

He was also a tactical genius, and a passionate commander that would leave you with a smile on your face win or lose.

One things for sure you'd have fun and be truly entertained whenever under the leadership of Celiah Ailey.

And that's something money cannot buy.