Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Who Played the Best Game of Politics?

Discussion in 'Clan Discussion' started by koruun, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Zarithas

Zarithas Goblin Warrior

Probably biased answer, but in order:

1. Awful Company/CotC from February to July 2009
    2. Zealot
    3. DHW/TSL/whatever else they called themselves
    4. Afghanistan

They had Superfriends for some time, which pretty much dominated the server no contest and could be considered a megalliance. But that didn't last long. Way too much ego clashing.

#101 Zarithas, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Sc0rpz

Sc0rpz New Member

GANS TheGREAT.

Zaratas and Machinist like this.
  3. Jonah_Veil

Jonah_Veil Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter Streamer

Pressing the Ally Button is not politics.

Grimtide likes this.
  4. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Kicking or not allowing any bad/average players and having a large clan of the top 10% of the best players is not politics.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Machinist likes this.
  5. Jonah_Veil

Jonah_Veil Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter Streamer

Forgets the Talent Factory.

Will be reminded.

6. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Remembers leading almost every successful siege against tsl (was absent for one/didn't lead the other) and tsl disbanding.

#remembered

#106 SenseiSpades, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  7. SupDude

SupDude Gravelord
    Legend

Foggen and Frank for EU . I've heard things about tsl on NA.

Also a lot of people doing stuff behind the scenes . Special shout to SUN who i actually liked to play against , respectable ennemies and there are not a lot of clans i could say the same thing , game wouldnt have be the same without them ; they also had a lot of very dedicated members ( which makes 50% of the power of a clan ) Fenix to name one.

#107 SupDude, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Hyld likes this.
  8. Osium

Osium Goblin Scout

This isn't really true at all.

Saying I played a political game is pretty much bullshit. TM spent the first 4 or 5 months of the game avoiding politics. We avoided the city game, the politics and fought and killed everyone. The only time we didn't kill whoever we ran into, was when they paid us to fight for them, or paid us to not fight them. Even then, we tended to kill our employers the moment the contract was up.

Hyperion learned that lesson a few times when after a contract they thought they could hang out with us. Murdering an entire Hyperion raid group after they paid us and the contract was over was usually a pretty nice bonus :)

I guess you could say that by avoiding all the bullshit, and concentrating on power gaming and having fun, that was a sort of win, I suppose that is fair to say, but to call it politics when we actively sought to avoid them, I don't know.

RootedOak and SoL like this.
  9. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

Awful company, yes.

The others, LOL. You guys think PVP talent = game programming and now you think PVP talent = Politics.

You guys need to look up what politics actually means.

There were good guys in those clans, great pvpers and more. But they never played the political game, ever.

10. Zarithas

Zarithas Goblin Warrior

Every clan on that list formed strategic alliances (approaching nutcup levels at some times, though those didn't last long) and engaged in a lot of espionage, metagaming, and diplomacy. Sure, it wasn't on the same degree as AC or goons in other MMOs. But even the best players still need numbers and cooperation to win sieges and hold territory.

11. Krush

Krush Goblin Scout

Lexendros and Quin Tessence like this.
  12. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Hard to deny that the numerous blood sieges of yours would've been won without our assistance, but if anything as well, this also shows how bad Blood is in everything they do unless they have a gold Ebay to buy from. You guys were the "NEW" of DF:UW, so you got support from other places as well.

That is however a achievement however, it's hard to hold a holding like that for so long.

13. Kozzion

Kozzion Goblin Warlord
    Hero

fixed
    --- Post updated ---
    completely agree, I wouldnt even stand being with the "dark" names some say in this list. We were maybe on the lower end, but at least we were on the right path :)

14. SomeBK

SomeBK Infernal
    Legend

I was kind of bad and he found a soft spot in his heart for me. Lol

15. Machinist

Machinist Deadeye

dont you think being the biggest exploiters and dupers on the server in a age when no one had magic and you could spam aoe on ungrinded low hp characters makes whatever you did sort of invalid.

16. nuclearping

nuclearping Crypt Guard
    Legend

Yes, SUN, Z5 and ANG ... Those were fun times back then. Like three super powers fighting for world dominance. :D

17. Osium

Osium Goblin Scout

Are you stupid?

Magic didn't play a role in the game until months in. Look through our youtube channels, 90% of the videos are melee/bow and needles which was what, 15 witchcraft?

As to exploiting, we exploited, everyone exploited. Sour grapes that we controlled the most important places in the game for grinding monsters.

As to duping? I knew of a way to dupe, most powergaming groups did. Everyone had that one dude who went link dead, appeared at a bind stone when he logged in, ran back to the monsters he was grinding and found his body with all his stuff on it, the same stuff he was wearing. Actually using that however? Yea good luck.

Here is where our economy stranglehold on the server came from.

[​IMG]

Do you know what that is? That is March 10, 2009. The night that the AI on all monsters in the game broke. Do you know what we did? We found this guild COTP or COS or whatever farming the devils that had no AI. We killed that group, got like 11 theyril keys. Had no idea what they were because nobody had even seen them before. We went back to Hintenfau, banked them, then went back to the devils. Same guild was there again, we killed them again got more keys. This time we stayed and they never came back.

They were dropping thousands of gold per kill, and 100% theyril chest key every kill. Guess how many we killed? Hundreds. Guess what happened to that money, it was split up partially among the people who were there, and then TM took the rest and took over the economy of the game. From that point on, if you bought any bulk resources in Human/Elf/Dwarf lands, or Alfar lands, TM was almost certainly behind it, buying in Mahirim lands where the prices were dirt cheap and having merchants sell the goods in Human and Alfar areas for almost 2x the price in Mahirim lands.

There was only one merchant in the game that I was not either managing, or working closely with to buy and sell resources. Tenebrion.

The other person who fueled our early economy was gluttony. I bought a few dozen astrolabes from him for like 10k a pop, and a month later I started selling them for 70-140k a pop. You know when I started selling astrolabes? The week after we destroyed the Dusk alliance with a brig. Gluttony wasn't the only person I was buying them from. I bought them from everyone who would sell, at 5-10k a pop. People didn't know what they were for. I did, and we had a plan. "Hey everybody, look at this shiny awesome toy that can level a city in 5 minutes, by the way I just happen to control about 90% of all astrolabes on the server, step right up".

Do you know what else we did? We robbed the Dusk alliance bank, almost all of it. We robbed Hyperions bank TWICE, we robbed the Goons bank once. Outside of Cairn Alliance and Death alliance, we bought, or stole almost ALL of the rare ore mined out of the entire game.

We've been running, I mean RUNNING, every FFA loot based MMO to ever exist going back to the mid 90's. The server was playing checkers, I was playing chess.

You know the very first EVEonline scam story, the Nightfreeze story? That's about me. We didn't go through with it, but the guy who wrote it, Galgorth, was a member of TM, and together we figured out how to run a giant ponzyesque scheme in Eve online 5+ years before anyone actually tried anything similar. We had everything lined up ready to go, and instead of finishing up, we quit the game because its combat sucked. We had investors actually on the hook, we had the fake corporations made, we had the characters made. Everything was ready to go except, we just quit the game instead of doing it.

Towel likes this.
  18. Krush

Krush Goblin Scout

Yeah, we got lots of assistance, but isn't that the political aspect this thread is about? :)

19. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

It's a pussy way of playing politics but for a new player clan it's valid to ask for help. (you paid well for it I remember in RGF getting 50k+ a head to help in sieges for and against you by blood).

Politics is more than asking for help for a siege though. It's about playing your enemies against each other, forcing people into alliances, splitting alliances apart, and propaganda.

Slayven likes this.
  20. Hyld

Hyld Infernal
    Legend

QFT, two different but somehow complementary masters of poltics in the ending days of DFO EU

Both hated and admired at the same time.

Regards
    HG