Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

"Why didn't you like it?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fatweirdo, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Fatweirdo

Fatweirdo Goblin Shaman

I want to know the answer to "What didn't you like?"

Not YOUR answer... your FRIENDS' answer. After their first foray into DFO what was wrong? Why didn't they try it again? Don't give us why you think they didn't stick with it, what did they actually say to you?
    So, to your totally uninitiated buddies, what was the issue?

Mine: I had three friends I've known forever who are all big gamers. I got them all on new accounts, gave them some "cool-looking" gear and showed them the basics, what magic looked like, and goofed around for about an hour. We then went on a "noob pvp run" through human starter lands and I swear to god... Best. Possible. Experience.
    They got to have a full noob 3v3 (hilarious), had an epic chase of a goblin farmer (thrilled at how much loot they got), learned what NPC towers feel like, and got to see remnants of a battlefield (6 random player graves around a rock).

But only 1 logged in a second time on his own, did a few hours and that was it. Their reasons:
    1. UI really awkward
    2. Super confused in general (shitty help tips, no guidance)
    3. Graphics
    4. Poor performance/laggy

This happened just prior to ray patch as I recall.

2. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

Sounds like they had fun, but were too used to games like WoW and didn't want to take the time to learn Darkfall.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

All the friends that I had try the game didn't have rigs good enough to run it at a competitive level, so pretty much just harvested. And the one guy that did have an okay rig joined a clan wanting to get to know the game better and apparently no one really helped him or talked him through anything, so he ended up just giving up. This was in the very early days when I myself had a shitty laptop to play on, so I couldn't really help him since I was spending all my time harvesting myself.

4. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

In the end Darkfall isn't for everyone, just like every single game on the market isn't for everyone. I think having a good first experience goes a long way, but some people are destined to quit. My friends think "Full loot" is "too hardcore" they don't realize you can get a good gearbag in a day, and you don't have to raid 2 months to get everything.

5. Drunknmadman

Drunknmadman Goblin Warrior
    Legend

Well I diddnt play DFO but I can see the same kind of thing with DFUW kinda being a thing.

My friend is very good at games and spent hours dueling wich he thought was fun.
    He never logged in on his own and would log in if I asked him to soo I saw that he may enjoy playing it with me, When it came time to roam he found himself more bored than ever. IDK what the pop was like on DFO but I guess he wanted an "Instant action" button.

He managed to get over a cancer UI and a bit of a grind for prow. But I guess it was the lack of both our ability to find randoms to PK.

I know its not an easy thing to address but those "Instant Gratification" players are very common.
    (just my little tidbit)

6. Kotic

Kotic Infernal
    Legend

We only owned Shitwater(Sweetwater) at the time. There was literally nothing to do in that area, so he didn't renew his 14 day free trial.

Rip small-medium clans who owned shit located cities that killed activity.

#Sweetwater
    #Gulghat(Nice Mine, but shit surroundings)
    #Alberworth(Wasn't as bad, but still not the best activity)

My clan was most active at the times when we owned cities like Mar'Shral, Hal'Kali, Darkmoore, even when we only owned Skaranibben.

7. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

I heard about DF1 and finally got an account. Started up and LOVED it. Even getting decaped by Britney Spears who was supposed to be an ally on my first day. So I had to run from dwarflands to Gulghat twice. Didn't deter me one bit.

So... I have two brothers that are just like me (try just about every action mmo rpg pc game released). I probably made the mistake of saying too much about the game before showing / giving them a chance to try it... And their reason for not even giving it a try was, "Didn't want to lose my stuff and the aspect of getting harassed doesn't sound fun."

The point of my little story is... A lot of people probably see the full loot, no safe zone aspect of the game and immediately move on... Not even giving it a try. I'm not saying that's bad. In fact, those are unique aspects to a game and they fit well with the sandbox world of DF. People that might normally never care for a game like this might give it a try if an opportunity presents itself...

The free trial that occurred brought in a lot of curious players that might otherwise never try the game... Might work for RoA too.

8. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

Also, around the last year DF1 was around... Military Gamers guild tried DF1 along with a few Silver Sun Republic guildies of mine to show them the ropes... About 30 of us total. I'd say about 20 were noobs that never tried DF1. In the end, it came down to harassment. Someone bindcamped them in Sweetwater when no one was on that could help. Demoralized and feeling helpless (lack of pvp training) most of them didn't stick around after the first month. I came to the realization too late and lost the chance to do something about it. Not that I could do much about it, I was only mediocre at pvp...

9. yewhatever

yewhatever Stormgraive

Graphics, grind, needing to play keyboard like piano (or scripts).
    Most didnt even want to try the game out because of what info they could find on the game.

As much as i love DFO, there were some very serious issue's in its first year(s).
    Once the game got in a good spot, i couldnt in good concience tell friends to play.
    AV was/is shit, the game was going nowhere and the population meant that it wasnt the same as when i got addicted to the game.

All of these are going to get addressed in one way or another by RoA, so here's to hoping on a good execution

10. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

well if i didn't have friends to get me through the first 2-3 months with tips, occasional gearbag, and a home to live/defend from enemies i would have quit within' the first month most likely. I surprisingly had fun getting rares out of iron nodes, exploring, and getting my ass handed to me by flesh golems but what i didn't like was...

1.) ui...the clutter upon logging in, and having to close browser windows was so bad I was disappointed.

2.) lack of really anything to start with...it could be a little more interesting to get your choice of a weapon or a good looking robe to not be butt ass necked, it was really different. some people argue this was good for the people starting out but idk...the loin cloth/straps and a leaf blade was offputting for me personally.

3.) lack of direction. im fine with no big quest markers but that first npc or two should give an indication that maybe you want to check this out to get started, my first hour of the game was missing the npc, running about 30 minutes east into a zombie spawn and getting zergled then doing it again until i found what to do :p

4.) the controls were a giant piece of shit as default. sure keybinds are important and everyone will change it but when you got to tab in, esc, and do mile high journeys to navigate the already bad ui it is horrible.

5.) monster ai was a little dull but fear of dying made up for it.

6.) graphics to me aren't an issue but to others its game breaking and i can see their side to it...its 2015, not 2007.

11. Riftmaster

Riftmaster Deadeye

I'm kinda who you're talking about..the friend, I mean.

IRL friend of mine introduced me to the game.

I played it some, but often just ended up harvesting or doing PvE, because I was (am?) unreasonably terrified of losing the digital stuff I had acquired.
    "it's just pixels" was a phrase I recall hearing multiple times from him...

And of course, I didn't like all the grinding.

Occasionally when he had time, we'd group up and run around together, that was fun.

The thing is, I was mostly playing solo in a multiplayer game, which is probably one of the main reasons I had issues...

12. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

i started with a couple of rl friends that I used to play uo with.

we played a while just the 3 of us roaming, grinding, ganking, getting ganked. I guess over time the grind got to one of them. he just stopped logging in , got sick of always having to macro to get magic up to compete. his name was garugamesh.

my other friend ices coldclaw played for a while longer. he ended up writing a program called "darkfall assist" , with kelet roughskin, which he named after uo assist. It helped with the clunky ui. He lasted a bit longer but wasn't that great at pvp so he got sick of always having to grind for gear.

I would tell him just make a bone set but i think he was convinced that the gear was what was holding him back. he didnt make it too much longer.

im just masochistic i suppose. I ended up leaving for a bit due to having my first child but came back strong later. played for a while after that but i had to leave the last 6-8 months of the game due to rl shit(kids take alot of freetime)

I guess what im getting at is.... my friends quit because they felt it was almost like a full time job to do stuff in order to be competative.

which isnt necessarily the case, but it helps. i mean when your using rend and the guy you are fighting is cycling r50's its pretty gg.

i guess it takes a special breed to play this game. I like getting kicked while im down. It puts a smile on my face just knowing what im going to do to that guy when i get up.

13. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Great thread some good feedback. Most of my friends that tried it felt lost, they needed a bit of hand holding they didn't know what to do with themselves or what to go accomplish. The GUI was definitely a factor and more than anything I think the grind to be competitive deflated their will to try to tackle it.

14. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

DFO actually had mob hotspots, AKA stuff worth farming. DFUW did not. Your friend may be able to find the instant gratification he's looking for if he knows what mobs are worth farming in DFO.

15. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

1. UI was confusing for them
    2. Demotivated by the grind
    3. They didn't know wtf was going on, didn't really understand the gameworld

16. Viciousboxx

Viciousboxx Crypt Guard
    Legend

1. Graphics
    2. Living in lost untillik at the time (new hope crusade alliance.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4jg-kOL0E8 this is the only siege they experienced)
    3. magic being op af.
    4. they did come back later in jesuspatch but only played for ~3 months, they were "too far behind".

17. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Celestial
    Loyal Legend

Great thread.

I know this is supposed to be about friends you tried to recruit into DF, but here's my story. (Never really tried to recruit anyone, once I was hooked the most I would say was that I enjoyed the game a lot but it wasn't for everyone. Didn't want to wish AV on anyone.)

It took me two attempts to get into Darkfall. I had tried it early on and I remember being fed up with not knowing the control scheme, and not knowing anyone didn't help either. I didn't play past the end of the trial. I ran around in what was most likely Heart of Eanna for a bit, used the help menus as much as I could, maybe killed some goblins, and then since I didn't know anyone I just gave up to go play whatever the community I ran with was playing at that time. Logic was that it was better to play a traditional tab target MMO with people I knew than something different by my self.

Probably a year or more later my attitude had changed and AV had opened up free trials again (or the free trial/improvements were brought to my attention through another gaming community) and since there was absolutely nothing on the market with anything other than Battleground/Instance based PVP, I gave DF another shot. (Think I quit Guild Wars 2, where, despite how much time and money I threw at it, things still felt too god damned repetitive.)

The second foray into Darkfall succeeded in hooking me for three main reasons,

1. I met Uzik and joined his noob clan, which gave me a network of newer players to ask questions and learn from

2. I found the Zagenda intro to DF videos

3. I finally talked to someone about what my leveling path should be and I think I found some reference material on what I needed to level and how.

If not for these three things my second foray would have ended the same as my first.

Also had a lot more time on my hands in those days. Sheer time to spend playing the game may actually have been the most important factor to me sticking with the game.

18. noname777

noname777 Goblin Warlord

same story here. Killed some goblins, thought the game was boring then when i was about ready to quit i checked global chat and saw someone spam recruiting. I joined and was introduced to city building, pvp and generally having some lols

19. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

When we made Liandri Recruitment Agency we probably had about 150-200 noobs come through. I'd say about 5 of them kept playing the game. The main reason was the complete lack of hope in catching up and competing with the vets (and we were mega boosting them). This is the biggest issue we face.

20. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Celestial
    Loyal Legend

Agree. I remember being fairly new and deciding not to even attempt PvP until I had leveled out my character. Thankfully this was after Mobs started giving more XP than players, so leveling manually was boring but reasonably fast.