Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

"Why didn't you like it?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fatweirdo, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Maybe the team should consider adding quests into the game that essentially tell you what basic spells and skills you need to level to be competitive? Newer players really have no way to figure out what the essential spells are without talking to a vet. While the game is made for and centered around group play, solo players should still be able to struggle their way through the game without outside input. Or same goes for small, close-knit clans that only talk within themselves.

2. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

We have some internal projects we are working on focused directly on the new player experience. One of the main things we want to accomplish is a comprehensive and intuitive new player guide that every new player has easy access to. This would go over the basics of the game, user interface, combat mechanics, etc.

I was in a clan that had a few hundred people at EU-1 launch, and the majority of them left before the end of the first year. The same reasons for them quitting came up time and time again, between the immense grind, the un-intuitive user interace, poor keybindings, and lack of things to do outside of PvP. Of course there were many other reasons, such as the perceived need to AFK macro, the rampant hacking and exploiting that went unaddressed for a long time, and the lack of communication and actual game development that we received over the years.

The bottom line is that we know we have to address all of these areas as our success depends on increasing player retention, and these will be our main focus points during alpha and beta before we launch the game to the public.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Good to hear. Helping new players learn how to efficiently make use of their keybinds and get familiar with the UI is absolutely essential. As for combat mechanics, the farthest I would go is saying 'transfers are vital: you need these. Train at least one weapon skill, there are many situations where you will be forced into melee. The following spells can greatly increase your movement abilities in and out of combat when used correctly: begone, shrapnel, etc'. Leaving the 'meta' of combat to be discovered and experienced first hand is part of the charm of the game.

4. Orumus

Orumus Goblin Scout
    Hero

The only thing I could really say was a glaring issue for me was the emptiness of the world. The world in DFO is pretty damn big reminds me of Dereth from Asherons Call in scope. That said if you compare the world building and quests from Asherons Call and Darkfall it's clear DFO left a lot to be desired on that front. Questing was never really done well in DFO. The mechanics of quests only need to be basic much like they did in Asherons Call. Not floaty icons indicating quest givers but talking to NPC's and getting stories and lore leading you to another place to discover more aspects of a quest. You achieve two mechanics here both questing for new gear while also learning about the game world and telling the story of racial tensions. Darkfall never really had quest items much like Hamud`s Pyreal Katar or say the Sword of Lost Light like in Asherons Call and I think it`s something the game needs to make the world come to life and have meaning to players.

I suppose another issue I have with DFO is Monster AI was also a gripe for both myself and my friends who i brought into the game. Having monsters running up to you and then running away drove me up the wall. Monsters felt too randomized and erratic instead of intelligent in their behavior which ended up making PvE a chore to farm more than exciting times. Also many of the enemies are bipedal and used alot of the same behavior routines leaving most enemies predictable and boring to fight

The general game mechanics are fine there are some minor things that should change but the combat pacing, spells and things of that nature I had no problem with. The game mainly just lacked content to keep people logging in unless you wanted to roam for PVP fights.

5. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Celestial
    Loyal Legend

Lol, always forget about how dumb Mobs were

6. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Improving quests/adding more and world building are both planned. Agreed there was a lot of dead areas which we will address in part. But with adding dynamic building being a goal we don't want to remove all the areas players could build on.

Improving mob AI would be great but it's not something on the docket for a while. There's a lot of other changes that will be coming ahead of it and also more familiarity with the code will be necessary probably for that kind of a change.

7. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

I believe that a lot of improvement can come from the new player experience because I think most people that tried DF1 quit before really seeing the whole picture.

8. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

If you die to a mob you should eventually bleed out. Fuck the carebear UW shit. Leave DF how it was (death wise).

9. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

i agree with that. the harshness of the df environment should still be there. i just think new players in old df1 were not given much direction on how to progress in the game. As well as learning how to pvp and learning about the endgame content. a lot of players missed out on the best part of df because they quit before even experiencing what hooked most of us here.

10. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

At first I hated it, but then I learned to love it. It makes you think and it isn't a 'dumbed down' feeling like a lot of other games. In other games I have no worry, I don't care if I die to mobs, but in Darkfall I have to use my brain. I think it can be used as an advantage over other games regarding bringing noobs in and hooking them to that aspect of Darkfall. It's harsh, but you get used to it and it becomes a good thing not a bad thing.

11. Klecko

Klecko New Member

I love DF ,BUT it got to the point where u couldn't go or do anything ,anywhere with out getting ganked . You couldn't go anywhere naked it didn't matter people would kill u anyway. There was no downside to killing people, even of the same race or natural allies. If somebody saw u , u were dead. I love PVP , I wont play an online game that doesn't have it. But DF turned into a game where groups of 4 guys would just ride around killing the player base , Player base left , and the game died

12. IsilithTehroth

IsilithTehroth Gravelord
    Supporter

For my friends it was

1) The massive grind.
    2) Sole focus on pvp everything else be damned(Treasure hunting was the right direction).
    3) Exploiters and bugs ruined the economy and got away with it.
    4) Not enough other things to do in game other than pvp or pve.
    5) Losing shit when they died.
    6) World was too massive with no directions of what to do.

13. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

Oh where to start, i disliked the game because:

a) Bunnhoping
    b) People being able to win largely outnumbered fights (2v3 sure but 2v4 or more is stupid)
    c) Bunnhoping
    d) Everytime i died i would lose EVERYTHING i had, a couple items is fine for the fun risk but everything? just dumb
    e) Everybody had aimbot ray scripts and bunnhop scripts so you had to have these to compete
    f) bunnhoping
    g) No safe areas, there needs to be a safe place that people can just chill out, craft and farm some mid tier mobs after losing all their shit
    h) The fact that there were npc vendors made my dream (ok not really my dream but it would have been fun and could be somebodys) of being a traveling mandrake salesman not viable
    f) bunnhoping
    g) Did i mention bunnhopping?

14. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

Spacebar mastery: 5
    Synna: 0

15. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

All of that except the aimbot script is complete rubbish complaints. Reason is because it made the game unique and skillful. In every other game it is the massive blob, disgusting, zerg that will win the day. At least, in DF1 there was that glimmer of hope that skill, leadership, coordination, using top tier gear vs trash gear players, careful planning can all culminate into a satisfying victory over the massive zerg. Risk vs reward makes everything more exciting and worthwhile.

Oh yeah... Safe areas? If you want that, just play unholy wars. Why are you here? If you want a somewhat safe area to craft, de-clan and go to npc town and craft, just don't go afk.

16. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

This has to be a troll post.

Bunnyhopping isn't hard, get better at it and stop bitching. People being able to win outnumbered fights is the GREAT thing about Darkfall, where skill actually matters and with it you can do the seemingly impossible. Losing everything isn't bad, it makes you think about your next move and balance the risk vs reward, also it really isn't hard to get geared again. I don't think people used aimbot ray scripts, they certainly didn't have to. I think some people fucked with their cast speed (dolphin rider) and used wall hacks (juice man) but they were still killable. The safe areas should be around your clan holding with your alliance members.

17. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Yes synna is a sarcastic troll through and through, he loves the original and hates DFUW. He just loves trolling the forums more than anything else it's his mini game :)

18. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

shush you

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Undead Dwarf
    Hero

Constant gear grind with little else to focus on coupled with losing everything upon death when being jumped during PvE.

Darkfalls major population blocker in a nutshell.

20. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

I figured he was trolling. However, there are people that think like that and are 100% serious so I figured i'd reply for them. :)