Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Why I am not supporting Rise of Agon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skreww L00se, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

how did fnights manage to derail this thread into being about him

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Someone needs to make an Fnights copypasta, because he writes the same thing in every post, in every thread. Even if it's about skreww being a drama queen. How did he even manage to make that relevant

3. AlphaMage

AlphaMage Goblin Shaman

I would hope that Kimoshu and his team realize the reason we are all here is for our love of Darkfall 1.0 and what it was. This is probably the most jaded online gaming community there ever was and any bait and switch will not end well. And if this is just an immediate financial stepping stone thats not cool guys. That being said I hope this game doesn't run rampant with the cry babies that 75% of Darkfallers were, changes will be made it's not going to be a private server clone that it seems people are thinking. Of course they are trying to make money and careers, sure they are thinking about whats after they are a company now and their concern should be about themselves and their financiers not us in all honestly; they should probably think about who they let in on those conversations though. Keep up the good work Kimoshu and team.

4. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Just to clarify, we want to make darkfall successful and more accessible for players. Not need to put in 6+ months of hardcore macroing to be pvp ready. That is what we want to fix primarily.

From there we want to add more depth to the game again to make things a bit more fun and promote the sandbox elements.

We have many people on the design team, but one person must have a vision for the game which is Andrew and he has a good grasp of the problems in DF1, and what we can do to fix them. But also knowing that community feedback is SUPER important.

Screw is a good guy and has a lot of passion sorry to see him go.

5. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

dont give him attention anymore?

problem solved!

6. trashsmasher

trashsmasher Crypt Guard

that is a childish response

7. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

pretty sad screw lol

got removed from game design.. 10 min later you post this and on reddit?

good stuff :p

8. Ulfang Blackmane

Ulfang Blackmane Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Funnily enough most of the things Skreww has mentioned here are things that I consider positives rather than negatives for the project.

This project should, I feel, be carried out from a business perspective and not just a fanboy dream project, or it will be less likely to succeed. A clear business structure is essential for a project of this scope to stand a good chance of success. Marketing, which Skreww seems to suggest is a secondary factor, is in fact of the utmost importance. A great deal of effort should be put in to this, and I for one am glad it is receiving the attention it deserves. The devs have made no secret that they want to turn this project into a career for themselves. I fully support that vision and dream. I have seen far far too many fan developed projects totally collapse because the people involved have no REAL vested interest in the project. Passion for a game or idea alone is not enough to provide long term sustainability. Give the developers a real career opportunity to go with their passion and much can be achieved. It's a sensible way to provide an incentive for the developers to work hard to achieve their goal and sustain it in the long term.

Personally I feel that in a project like this it is good for someone to have a strong overall vision, and for his team to help guide that vision. Too many conflicting opinions cause conflict, and result in too much debate and little real progress if there is no one willing or able to make the final tough decisions. I don't buy that Kimoshu is simply ignoring his design team and the community and doing whatever he likes. Kimoshu and other devs have been very active in providing feedback on all the major threads, and many minor ones, providing comments following from their reflections on the communities discussions. Overall there has been very healthy dialogue between developers and community. The final decisions have to be made by someone though, and of course when you have a community which is hugely split on many issues it is very hard to please everyone, and some people will invariably find something to complain about. I'm glad to say that so far I've seen a lot of sense coming from the devs, and they seem to be suggesting sensible compromises to most issues rather than lurching to extremes.

At the end of the day, once a decision has been made by the guy in charge, the other developers should accept it and move on to the next thing to be addressed. If they have serious concerns regarding a decision, and I mean serious concerns with a decision, not something somewhat minor in the grand scheme such as fizzle or no fizzle, then there should probably be a structure set up by which that issue can be revisited by the team and executive. I don't feel every decision should be open for appeal, as otherwise the development process may get too bogged down in time consuming activities, but for major design decisions something like this would be helpful in my opinion.

To be honest, Skreww coming out and causing drama like this suggests to me that he isn't the calibre of person to be involved in this project and that he doesn't seem comfortable operating in a professional capacity. If he is acting up like this at such an early stage it's better to drop him sooner rather than later in my opinion. Sorry Skreww if that sounds harsh, but its the impression I get from your post.

9. Kal VenoM

Kal VenoM Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Fizzle should be removed tho.. any RNG element to a competitive FPS that can decide a fight sucks tbh.

10. Bomanz

Bomanz Goblin Warrior

Fizzles are retarded of course and a new system should be put in place, but this is still some chicken shit drama mongering.

11. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

You can't just simply REMOVE fizzles. I personally want them gone, however, I understand that it needs more thought than "remove fizzles" and probably requires some discussing and ideas. I feel this is a knee jerk reaction from skreww, played with him for years in DFO. I just think he handled this the wrong way.

12. Kal VenoM

Legend

Why?

13. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Tons of threads on it man, it's obviously a concern. I can't list everyone concerns. My personal and only concern is that fizzles TYPICALLY affected heavy armor more. So from a balance stand point I personally think that encumbrance numbers would need to be tested and tweaked on magnitude, cast time, and knock time. Tongue Rot would need to be reworked ( had a suggestion for that myself you can read here ). At that point Adept seems pretty useless, and also the spell success enchant. Although combined with my Tongue Rot idea the Enchant could still be doable I suppose.

I'm all about the PvP and balance if you know me, you know this. We have time for ideas and suggestions, why don't you contribute some of your own for a nice balance of fizzles being removed. Your threads ARE being read here.

14. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

imo, we shouldn't delete a mechanic and never think of it again. Fizzles have their place. Do I think they should be completely RNG based, no.

But turning them into a mechanic that we can use as players onto other players (debuffs), yes.

15. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

It's a key balancing against going heavy mage because it's frustrating as hell to fizzle so heavy and removes the high utility while heavy geared. We are looking at the removal of the mechanic or severely changing how it worked in several ways but it will require some very careful thought to do it properly. There's several skills and enchants all related to fizzles that instantly become useless if fizzles from encumbrance is removed as well as people gearing very heavy casting all the utility spells with 100% success rate. Simply removing it will COMPLETELY change the meta even if we do add more to the other balancing of cast speed and magnitude. We've had discussions on this subject in the last few weeks and we're all for changing the mechanic because it was frustrating having no control over it.

Once we get the alpha going we're going to be doing very indepth balancing of fizzles and surges among other things, it's just difficult to really balance this mechanic without seeing exactly how the system works at the technical level. We know the veteran community HATES fizzles, we know and we're going to address them if that means changing how the mechanic works or removing it that will come down to testing once we have an alpha server.

16. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

Yeah, i thought kimoshu was a lot more humble than that. Things like that must be taken into private.

I take note on every type of behavior in the team and i fear the corruption that will rain upon us when the game will be ready to launch.

17. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

Surging spells must be removed. Fuck that. From 75 to 100, it should be like from 75 to 99. There should be no thought in that.

18. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

What? He is responding to the BS skreww is publishing. If he took the mature high road we would all believe Skrewws side and not have the other side.

19. Kal VenoM

Legend

We already have that. I'm not saying remove tongue rot or is affects. I'm just saying remove the chance to randomly fizzle. It really adds nothing to the game?

20. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

The thing I find the most hilarious about Skreww's post is that he literally shot himself in the foot if he ever wants to work for a game company in any capacity in the future if he ever tries to reference his "experience" at Big Picture Games.

Classic case of someone wanting to be "right" more than they want to be happy, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.