Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Why I am not supporting Rise of Agon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skreww L00se, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kal VenoM

Kal VenoM Skeleton Archer
    Legend

I think the increased cast time was enough of a punishment for heavy armored players... I just don't see the need for this mechanic to be in game. (Unless tongue rot is applied)

2. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

Agree

Everyone that says to remove fizzles 100% with no thought does not understand the intricacies of the game, like you state here.

They just don't think past the "RNG has no place lolz get rid of it and all will be great" thought.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

meh I can relate to Skreww, sometimes I'm also right about something but then I sperg out and fuck everything up because I'm kinda socially retarded and slightly autistic

fizzles should be removed, yes it will require adjustments, but fizzles should be removed

4. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Screw loose has always been a child.

Mad cause bad.

5. Kal VenoM

Legend

Okay. Well they removed fizzles in UW... and there was/is a lot of things wrong with that game... but I've never seen a "please bring back fizzles" thread. Nor heard any of any issues in balance due to its removal?

6. Owyn Magnus

Read the thread I quoted. Erock kinda explained how simply removing fizzles with no plan kinda messes up other aspects of the game. Makes some skills useless or gimped.

Hence....the 'thinking' part of this equation that people are missing.

Im ok with fizzles in or out, tbh, it don't bother me. But there needs to be an actual plan.

7. Kal VenoM

Legend

I did read his thread, I replied to it too. I mean the only spell I can think might be affected is unburden, but it would still increase heavy armoured players cast time when used - so its still extremely useful. I can't think of any other spells or ability's that the removal of fizzles would affect?

Btw I'm not stating that fizzles from tongue rot should be removed. Just the RNG fizzles that occurred when you weren't de-buffed should be removed... and your encumbrance shouldn't affect your casting success rate, only the cast time. Anyway just my two cents.

8. trashsmasher

trashsmasher Crypt Guard

whereas everyone else on the team is going to be hired into 7 figures c level positions

oh sweet you posted some on a forum about a project that hasnt become anything yet
    ceo material

nice you installed phpbb
    cto material

9. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

You're about as farsighted (see what I did there?) as Skreww Loose when it comes to business.

The point was:
    You don't burn bridges that you might need access to in the future because the reason why the bridge was built in the first place may not serve the exact purpose it was built to serve. It certainly doesn't mean that the time and energy to take to build said bridge was a waste of time. The bridge itself is more important because of the possibilities it represents, as opposed to having no bridge at all or burning the bridge completely. If that were the case then why did you build the bridge in the first place?

It all comes back to motive. Lol.

10. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

I think that there are some misconceptions that have arisen in this thread that need to be addressed.

Big Picture Games is a company that is comprised of mostly Darkfall Online veterans. There are people on this very team that I myself was enemies with in-game during the original game's life, but it is our shared passion for that game and our desire to help realize it's potential that has us all working very well together. The majority of our team has been spending very long hours on this project, many with full time jobs already, and we are all doing this in hopes to be able to play together once again. It is true that we will be raising money to help us through our final Beta development stage, but the initial funds required for this project all came internally because we, as a team, believe in what we're trying to accomplish.

There will also be no funding campaign until we have been able to provide you with details on design specifics for Alpha and Beta. Skreww would know this but as he himself stated he wasn't very active, and there are some discussions that are kept only to team leads. You'll actually be getting the first announcement on our plans to address the power gap the Friday after next since the power gap and alignment are our focuses for Alpha.

I've also read some concerns about the transparency (or lack thereof) of our last two updates, and I can say we share in your frustration. The last thing that we want to do is not be able to tell you more details than we already have, but the reality is at this time we don't have the liberty to say much more. As a company, and as players ourselves, we believe that open communication and transparency is imperative to help foster a stronger and more passionate community, and this week you'll be seeing more information (and some surprises) from us too.

As a final note, we have some things that as old Darkfall players we're excited to share with you all next week, but I felt it important to step in here and set a couple records straight.

11. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

not sure if dumb or really dumb

12. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

Tries to invalidate a statement with a question that assumes a statement has been validated when it clearly hasn't.

Thanks for your contribution Clarence.

13. Clarence Swamptown

Legend

Well... it might need a bit balancing on the magnitude or casting time if removed, but it's not like it would require some insane thinking like some of these guys are saying. Starting by the fact that 95%+ of the players were light armored mages, there is a good chance that just removing them without doing anything else end up making heavy armor just a bit more popular, which wouldn't be a bad thing. The real downside of wearing heavy armor always have been the huge penalties on casting time and magnitude, more so than the fizzles.

Yes ofc skills like tongue rot and adept would need to be reworked, but the main idea here is that the vast majority of DFO players want to see fizzles gone, so if only they would say that they are removing them and working on the other related skills instead of just arguing and making it unclear what they want to do... there have been threads about this earlier on this forums, and seeing Dest for example, now titled as the game designer, arguing that RNG have its place, and acting as if fizzles is KEY to balancing (as if the other 2 variables already in place for balancing aren't more important, and in fact are the real KEY balancing here) is pretty disturbing.

Now about OP... skreww tends to overreact, but I kind of understand him. I hope this project work, but for it to work people needs to have definite jobs, and the work done by X department needs to be respected. I really applause Kimoshu for is initiative with this project, but for him and others to act as if it's right for him to have veto on things like pvp mechanics is really disturbing to me. No offense to the guy, but while he always have been a great member of the community, he definitely doesn't have the knowledge and understanding on that department that some other of his team members have... and a guy like Dest doesn't either. A great leader knows his strengths and weaknesses, and knows what to delegate.

14. Lahmage

Lahmage Deadeye
    Hero

Im not sure why everyone is so concerned about the distant future, we dont have a license or a server yet. First things first we need a server up thats stable so we can test things and play for a few monhs. THEN we can think about improvements and from what i gather, it will be done in a diplomatic way with changes only being affirmed by the community first.

15. Clarence Swamptown

Legend

I want to believe that, but knowing how all the iterations of the "MVP forums" end up working, with the extreme lack of transparency (and failure) and your involvement in it... let's just say that I hope you learned from that.

16. FireCrotch

FireCrotch Goblin Scout
    Hero

It doesn't surprise me Screw did that, he acted like that everyday in game and when it comes to sharing ideas, and brainstorming ways of improvement .... if its not what HE thinks is good - gtfo.

There is SOOO much speculation on how to fix this, how to fix that... I think its good, but sheeeet. Focus on getting the product, getting it running, getting alpha feedback with player interest then knock out the little bugs. People get sooo focused/single minded. I loved this game so damn much Id player the fucker with or without fizzles.

All the little debates can be a distraction for the main focus. And to see Kimoshu double post in this, I can only imagine is taking a little bit away from the big picture.

START THE ALPHA! - I know there is problems... but secure the product before you change the color - if anyone gets my drift..if not, sall good too. =)

17. Owyn Magnus

I understand. I honestly could not care less about fizzles one way or another. I would argue that for every fight someone thinks they lost because of a fizzle, they have won a fight because of the other guy having one. I understand the aversion to RNG.

Balancing will be tricky, and I actually applaud RoA if, as I understand, they are going to leave fizzle in for the foreseable future. I would hope they will t hen look at their data, play around with the skills, and before maybe the official release, do something about it.

As for Skreww, I know how he can get out of hand. However, in this case he is clearly trying to sandbag RoA's operation because of his issues. THAT I have a problem with. He needs to keep that shit in his clan, in game, and not like this.

18. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I can agree with a lot of things said here, some of it I would have said in nicer words, but to each his own. Clarence you must first understand some people don't understand why everyone hated fizzles. For players like you and I it is clear the reasons why they should go, but for others it's not always so clear.

This isn't directed at you Clarence you know I love you, but rather the people here in general, if you want changes propose an IDEA or a SUGGESTION. State your opinion on why things should or should not be changed. As I said above removing fizzles may be a no brainer to you but some people don't understand or have never even thought about it. Explain your point of view, this is your community, and it can be the game we all want if we can gather multiple points of views. The people that just come here and say "you're fucking dumb for not wanting to remove fizzles" you are not helping. If you truly want to help do the things listed above.

Now replace fizzles with anything pertaining to a heated darkfall discussion and there's a general outline for getting things done.

19. Bojangles

Bojangles Varangian Warthane
    Legend

you're fucking dumb for not wanting to remove fizzles

20. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

So let me clarify for those of us who paid more attention to Darkfall then we did in English class during middle school...or...high-school...or college...ect.
    My "right vs happy" statement was directed towards Screww Loose and his temper tantrum. Within the context of the situation itself essentially I was saying: "Compromise"
    I don't presume to know the answer to this question. I never stated that I did.

SO:

Quote me saying "I don't think removing fizzles is good for DFO" and I'll re-quote you here just to show you how ironic your post is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.