Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Why I quit RoA

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Rawrgasm, May 17, 2017.

1. Rawrgasm

Rawrgasm Goblin Warrior

As of yesterday I decided to not continue playing RoA, I peaked at rank 38 PvE scores so I can say I gave it a strong no life, here are my positives and negatives to maybe shed some light on the issues.

Performance / Optimisation / Server issues

I was getting extreme lag like this since day 1 at least 10+ times a day, sometimes as often as every 10 minutes. In this video you can see I pull my melee weapon out and instantly try changing back to my staff, it locks me out for a whole 3 seconds displaying 'inventory operation failed' system message, the server has not been optimised at all the way DnD has achieved, that makes me very worried for the success of the game before getting onto the server issues, the game was consistently crashing 2-6 times a day for up to 1 hour each time, every time it did crash you would lose previous 20 minutes of grind + mount / gold spent on skills in that time. The final straw was 40k+ in a strongbox on a server crash which didn't persist after the crash.

It's to late now to introduce new servers to deal with the lag its coming up 2 weeks since launch this should have been prepped on day 1 ready to upgrade, the optimisation should of been #1 priority I don't know how this has gone a miss.

Grinding / Spawn Scaling

Why the hell was the game released without spawn scaling done for all monsters? This forces people to stick to newbie monsters and doesn't reward farming in a group, this took a big part of the enjoyment away from me as a vet as I wanted to farm with people, but it wasn't profitable or viable leaving me to play solo which just isn't enjoyable. This should have never ever been released without a way of farming with big groups.

Yes there are certain spawns which have more monsters than usual, that isn't an excuse for a piss poor half finished spawn scaling.

Removal of Racial wars

The most insane change for me, I didn't think about the impact it would have until I seen Mahirim lands swarmed with all other races all farming hand in hand. There is no entry level PvP to be had, it's either be red and kill everyone or stay blue and farm with everyone. Launch would of been ten times more fun if I could of roamed to dwarf / elf lands and PvP'd anyone I'd seen without losing my blue status. A super big unnecessary change which cost big time.

Combat

This is my personal opinion so don't get panties in a twist if you disagree, but the old DF1 combat with insane knock ups on magma and fireball are so mundane, not to mention the same WOF + cycle rays combo, after playing around with removal of instant rays, encumbrance effecting knockup effect and splash damage nerf and instant cast reflect spell DnD has brought in the game just feels less cheesy and more skillful.

Bunny Hopping

Simply put, when someone can travel faster than a sprinting mount with no HP/STAM loss in the correct hop something is wrong. I actually hate how much stamina / hp you lose on DnD for doing this but I can see now why it was a needed change.

All the above added along with my boy Emperor Jack deciding not to play it with me I've decided I'm not having fun and calling it a day here.

Positives

-Crafting UI overhaul is really nice, a lot easier to read and understand than the old UI.
    -Right click party invite is a top notch feature.
    -Left click to loot is cool, but loot all feature with timer from DnD I prefer, less click intensive.
    -Loot bag system is good.
    -Get naked function is a nice change.
    -Levelling is very quick, the scroll system I'm neutral about, has some flaws has some nice bits.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

The lag is going to get better. They've already stated new hardware will be here this week, so it's pretty foolish for you to claim that as a reason to quit now.

As for the other points, I do agree with spawn scaling and removing the racial war. Every time I mention this point though, everyone immediately assumes i'm just trying to grief noobs. I havn't killed a single blue player. My alignment is +200 now. But in a week and a half, i've had only 3 fights. I imagined some awesome early game PvP like I remember having back in the original launch, but that dream is dead now. They say they'll implement factions at a later date, but this nostalgic time of early game PvP will be long gone by that point. It would have been nice to have factions in before launch so us vets wouldn't be deprived of such a great period of the game.

Grimtide likes this.
  3. Rexi

Rexi Skeleton Archer

I agree with the spawn scaling, as a new guild and huge group of friends, we find it really shitty that we can't play together because it's not effective...

4. jakobmillah

jakobmillah Earth Elemental

Spawn scaling needs a bit of an overlook in general.

Some spawns, if you go solo, you get absolute shit on if you just wait 1-2 respawns. Should maybe work like that, but sometimes it's just not efficient enough hunting if there isn't 2 spawns close to each other.

#4 jakobmillah, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Rexi likes this.
  5. gosti

gosti Frostjarl
    Legend

Go back to wow!
    I mean DND!

lol :p

6. LordCaligular

LordCaligular Dire Zombie

You raise some valid points. Especially server performance, bunny hopping and monster scaling. I dislike the new alignment/racial warfare system as well but it's too late to revert that now past release. I thought this launch itself was decent but the devs need to get to work now. Hopefully they are listening.

#6 LordCaligular, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Some points I agree with, especially the one about racial wars. Really dislike the way they handled alignment system and entry level pvp for new people to get hooked. I don't like that every race is blue to eachother, it just feels wrong to me.

Disagree with ND having better combat, what a joke.

Server performance is a huge issue for me as well but I have faith.

8. LordCaligular

Have you actually tried the combat of ND? They actually raised the skill ceiling quite a bit. Mage v Mage and Mage v Hybrid/Archer TTK still needs adjusting though

Rorschach likes this.
  9. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

I think our definitions of skill ceiling are probably different. No I haven't played more than a few hours of ND total. I have talked to the best players it has to offer and watched videos from ND though.

10. LordCaligular

From an objective standpoint New Dawn has less knockups, less CC, fewer delays, faster casting times, timed blocking, timed spell-reflects, more punishing stat management and severely reduced splash damage/damage from non-direct hits. The only feature I can think of that speaks against is the default jumpshot on all spells and archery.

I'd say it's pretty hard to argue against New Dawn not having a higher skill ceiling than RoA in its current stage. Not saying it's a good or bad thing either, just stating the current facts.

11. Rawrgasm

Rawrgasm Goblin Warrior

I really like to stay civil on this matter, but none of the RoA core know how DnD combat is and they refuse to try it, but the NAs who have and the EUs will completely agree.

You will not get a neutral argument to this question, but what you said is 100% factual.

I'd even argue jump shot on everything doesn't change much as people who jump so much in fights get punished for it.

Rorschach likes this.
  12. Catorino

Catorino Crypt Guard
    Legend

Except alot of that is bullshit, their spells travel at light speed meaning you don't have predict movement or have any real game knowledge, it's just point and shoot, their stat management isen't more punishing because a cycle of all 3 transfers takes 1 second. Skill ceiling refers to more then just the players ability to point and shoot, it's about game knowledge, spacial awareness and decision making, non of which are present on ND.

Navlaan and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  13. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

Good post, sorry to see you go.

Rawrgasm likes this.
  14. Rawrgasm

Rawrgasm Goblin Warrior

Cast time and spell speed have not changed at all, yet another comment from someone who hasn't played the changes, removal of splash damage also means you need direct hits, from the videos here its still the same cycle nukes next to someones feet and WOF spam ray, you call that higher skill ceiling? There really isn't an argument for it, only the people who haven't tried it, perceiving it as bad without actually playing it and giving a 1 sided opinion.

I won't debate this further, as I wish RoA success and don't want to bash RoA on their own forums, if you would like to continue discussions on combat difference PM me or talk on ND forums.

15. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

well my experience with dnd is complete different..

Its basicly quake on a instagib server.. dont see they skill ceiling being higher on nd while they completly destroyed the possibility to turn a fight the other way around when your low hp.

it all comes to dmg output on nd. when you have no change to come back from a fight.

funny how most people claim roa as arena pvp gankfest.. while nd decreased the TTK and general speed of the game
    --- Post updated ---

how are you gonna fix alligment then this game? when the game is centered out playermade clan warfare. and not faction pvp?

16. ironkid

ironkid New Member

I played both and I totally agree with Rawr on all his points. But will still play RoA and enjoy the population while it lasts :) ND's combat may still lack enough balance atm but its way more smooth, fun and adrenaline pumping.

gosti likes this.
  17. Khazgol

Khazgol Deadeye
    Hero

Sorry to see you go Rawr. A very fair assessment from someone who has first hand knowledge of both games.

cinderblock and Rawrgasm like this.
  18. Truedon

Truedon Winterbound

Must be a British thing, i am constantly getting delays when getting my weapons out even using disable it wont just be used when i click it fucking joke hopefully it will be fixed soon but not something il quit about sure they are aware of the issue no idea if the american have the same issue but as a destroyer its game breaking for me.

Khazgol likes this.
  19. Khazgol

Khazgol Deadeye
    Hero

I'm NA and I've got the same issues. Once you adapt and use the "superior skillful timing" required by the UI it's okay. I don't really have any issues with it now I guess, but I do feel like I have to purposely play like an old man and slow down my APM to compensate.

cinderblock and Truedon like this.
  20. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

This. Very good response.

Im done here.