Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Why the game is where it is now in one tiny example.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gatorsmash, May 27, 2021.

1. gatorsmash

gatorsmash Crypt Guard
    Legend

The last 4+ years of BPG "changes" to the game and why they started way up with population & hype and rode this game into the ground, till where we are now.

Step 1:Take something put in game specifically to cause a PvP fight, big or small (insert example: house taxes due visible to 3rd parties)

Step 2: Remove it (even though nobody since 09' beta ever mentioned "insert example" was a problem in a discord I was in, literally over 10 years. Edit-Race wars? nobody said why the fuck cant we all get along)

Step 3: There is no step 3, that's all they did. Even though BPG could go to the Media section on their own forums and watch pvp video's of people fighting for/over (insert example: housing slots opening up).

*Applies to every single change they made that involved PvP in anyway.

~ this is why vet players come back, take a quick look around at all the unnecessary changes that removed PvP in the game(racial wars, territory wars, just being a dick in a open world pvp wars), and leave AGAIN. You couldn't get the previously playing game population to agree on what day it was and 90% of them all wanted the changed reverted.

Edit~ and I'm well aware the only people that read these forums now are the 3 people cheering BPG on and BPG themselves.

#1 gatorsmash, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  2. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

The thing is most people didn’t want the combat changed that’s why we all love df. Only thing we wanted is a game with a good economy, a lot more sand in the box, better graphics, and better marketing.

back to sand in the box: we wanted a bunch of open world things to kill our time so new players would love playing the game even when they die to wolves. Think of games like modded skyrim, Minecraft, wow and uo. All games people still always go back and visit and love playing. It’s just because they have an awful lot to do in them whether it’s building, survival, quests, lore, arena combat, dungeons, npc guilds, etc.

With that said bpg did do an overhaul on the UI, some graphics, and some crafting. But all the tweaking of combat spells, skills, weapons and armors and alignment all fell short and changed that old df feel into something more feeling unfinished.

the UI seems solid enough and so I say that’s the one thing they fully accomplished and did a good job at! Oh and they did finally change the house tax timer thank god!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #2 aparks, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Kilset likes this.
  3. Bakken

Bakken Goblin Warrior

Completely agree. They shouldn't have messed with combat at all and removing race wars removed entry level PvP.

I like the odd fix here and there but it would've been a lot better if they didn't change a single thing and only focused on adding content

quietnoobz, Mea Kulpa and aparks like this.
  4. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

Yeah combat should have never been touched, but is what happens when certain people are added to teams they have no business being anywhere near.

quietnoobz, Mea Kulpa and aparks like this.
  5. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

There is one combat change that should have been done (although it kinda is / isn't a combat change), they should have nerfed normal bone armour and add mastery versions of it to balance out destro / mage cost.

Other than that they should have only done fixes on combat, like fixing the whirlwind bug.

Really combat was the best thing about this game I have no idea what they were thinking changing any of it, so much wasted time that could have been put into other things.

It seems like with every combat change they made the combat felt a little bit clunkier, its hard to really explain but it doesn't feel as smooth as it use to.

6. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

i'm not sure if you're talking about weapon swapping but DFO actually had longer weapon swap delay than beta. Alpha was 1:1 to DFO (I prefer it like that personally, even if that means we have to bring back fizzles) But ultimately game is in a really rough state, I'd love to play DFO again but the game would need some serious marketing. It's already been said a million times what people really want but I'm not too sure it matters anymore.

7. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

thats more of an econ change, not a combat change, combat change as in "lets mess with the weapon swap delay because im kasmos and have no actual understanding of the basic game mechanics other than it needs to be made easier!"

8. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Well I did say it kinda is / isn't as it would effect combat, depending on how it was implemented mages would have less / more protections, I would have liked to seen regular bone Armour nerfed, fp level bone Armour to be a little bit below current bone Armour, infernal bone Armour to be the same and dragon bone Armour to be better.

9. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Varangian Warthane
    Contributor

The whole "combat shouldnt have been changed excspt for X" shit is the reason we got to where we are lol.

It's not hard to decide, really. Fix bugs and add new things to play with.

Feels like they had devs who changed values and things just to have something tangible to practice on. And where are those devs now. They fucked off now. And we're left with their pile of shit.

Mea Kulpa and Synna like this.
  10. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Except for x? aren't I the only one who has suggested x in this thread? and what I said is more of an economy change than a combat change, although it would have an impact on combat.

I think the majority of people would have been happy with no combat change other than bug fixes.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  11. otoan

otoan Undead Dwarf
    Loyal

From what I understand from a couple people that was part of the ROA project pre-launch, they had no real goal with the stuff they were implementing and they had no project management experience nor would listen to people with the required experience. So all their changes is pretty much the equivalent of grabbing a handful of darts, putting a blindfold on, spinning around in circles, and then seeing which darts landed on which they'd implement.

From what I've seen all their changes detract from any conflict and makes such a bland experience because nothing has any value. Race wars, city-owning, economy, combat. All poorly designed changes that saw a problem and came up with the simplest form of a solution and neglected to consider long term ramifications of the issue. Ex: Getting rid of portal chambers and adding a portal network. Completely destroying race wars. No item/gold sink. Now the newly implemented changes to cities.

At this point, I'd probably play a game like DF's combat even if it had no full loot/limited looting. (It couldn't be DF because so many supporting elements would have to be created to revolve around the new game mechanics that it would just fall flat if you tried to repurpose DF to be that game. The scam New Dawn didn't get that. Sure they could have made the game they wanted but they should have taken the engine and the combat and did away with everything else. map/mobs/etc just gone. Not even sure how possible that would have been with the DF engine. Knowing Aventurine probably not very.)

12. GrimReapiN

Contributor

Hmm. Pride goeth before the fail.

And so one remains! Looks man, you're simply the only one left spouting it.

I had a longer reply but it was horse shit.

13. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

You make 0 sense, people would just have to spend a little bit more money and then combat wouldn't be effected at all, it was just to balance mage / destro cost, the actual combat wouldn't change at all.

GrimReapiN likes this.
  14. GrimReapiN

Contributor

Ok lol

15. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Chosen of Khamset

Pffft all game needed was big steam release pay a couple big streamers and make a bunch of big sandbox events nonstop. That would get the pop flowing for a short duration as they work on new content and player ideas