Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Wine and darkfall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pykan SovinNai, Jun 27, 2017.

1. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool Goblin Warrior

I gotta ask, why not dual boot? Disk space, license or something else?

I'm running windows for gaming and Linux for everyday/work. When I'm lazy I got my core i7 6th gen connected to my eGPU and streaming games from windows to my linux computer. Network latency there could be an issue though.

2. magnum orkus

magnum orkus Goblin Warlord

noone in my household runs windows. roa runs flawless in linux no need for dual boot.

3. Immortus

Immortus New Member

I'll try that today! Thank you!
    --- Post updated ---
    [UPDATE] After clicking the Play button, the launcher restarted itself a few times. After re-logging, it freezes at the "Connecting" screen. I appreciate the support, but I won't lose my time with that anymore. (And yes, I've installed all the prereqs., used the same version recommended,etc,etc,etc...).

4. thepksociety

thepksociety Goblin Scout

Hi Frienz :D
    Thanks for posting this thread - So it seems worth downloading RoA on Linux and getting it to run ! I have tried some other small/older games and wine crashed out with a stack smashing error. I am soo not disabling stack overflow protection to run it lols, would probably still crash out anyway.

I might try Darkfall RoA :D I'm running OpenSUSE, which I find buggy. I have a low end laptop running Linux Mint and I'm loving it and might switch my PC over to it lols (it's a good/better PC - 6 core processors)

Anyway, thanks for posting !! It's nice to see its definitely worth downloading RoA on my Linux OS's

Off-topic - it's really funny to see that Discord in Linux takes more running memory than the KDE plasma window manager + 4 other IM clients running along side it..

#24 thepksociety, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  5. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

u got me at wine

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. magnum orkus

runs great in linux yes, but use dxvk if you can. i have lutris and pol install scripts if youre interested. ive been meaning to publish them soon.

7. thepksociety

that would be lovely if you can share those. i haven't tried installing anything yet other than the other game as it's been a while since I used to play games under Linux. It's nice to see things like Lutris around; that looks super easy. It's slightly confusing - I used to just load them up in Wine (older games) and not worry about directx dinput, etc. But WOW there's a lot of games playable under Linux now ! Things are definitely coming along for gaming on Linux. would definitely make things easier - I'm on OpenSUSE - in this OS my network drivers weren't working "out-of-the-box" and I had to install a separate bootloader beause GRUB didn't load otherwise... so I'm on a buggy OS :D Might switch it over to Linux Mint....... everything worked "out-of-the-box"

you're welcome to post them here or just send over a message - no point in them not being used since they're made :D

Linux install scripts/instructions are probably worth adding to a Darkfall wiki or forum for the Linux crowd :) Othwerwise I can actually hop on Discord.. I also have email, skype, riot, tox, wire, and gajim/xmpp client (we can't provide usernames and such on forums - probably because of bots).. or throw it on a pastebin ?

#27 thepksociety, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. magnum orkus

the game runs like a top, except for the journal/help page randomly causing the game to crash.

recently, it was made that closing the tutorial auto starts the help page, thus leading to potential frustration (game crash) for the new player. hence i didnt post the handy dandy installer.

temporary workaround is to leave the tutorial open, then click settings and uncheck 'start tutorial next time', then exit the game. now it wont crash next time you play.

would be ideal to go back to not having the help page auto start.

ill create a linux page on the wiki good idea.
    --- Post updated ---
    playonlinux
    https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-3995-Darkfall_Rise_of_Agon.html

lutris
    https://lutris.net/games/rise-of-agon/

enable dxvk with lutris for improved framerate

#28 magnum orkus, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Immortus and Kol Taggar like this.
  9. thepksociety

Thanks for the Linux support :D I'll definitely try this out.

So far in OpenSUSE I haven't gotten any other games I played working in Linux (a game from 2007 doesn't load because of their anti-cheat thing in the past year - it's not using EAC.. and another 2013 one crashes out with a vb error message for the past year. Games less than a year old tend to be a giant question mark in Linux and are usually ~50GB. So ya, I definitely could use a game in Linux to play or have on my second screen :D I actually haven't been in windows at all while at home for like 2 weeks lols

I have POL, Lutris, Steam and all that. I'll try these out !!!

Update; patching dfdata_0000.sfad ..... I just need to finish downloading these patches and it looks promising - no issues at all with the loader ! I don't have a DF Windows installation to copy the files over from lols.
    --- Post updated ---
    It works beautifully !

A constant 72 FPS in OpenSUSE with a bunch of background tasks running (5 instant messengers, firefox, tor, apparmor, firewall, kwallet, etc.)

Not a single error message popped up. Thanks :-D

#29 thepksociety, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020